Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sufix 832 Line Question PRO'S, CONS??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sufix 832 Line Question PRO'S, CONS??

Well I just Bought a Spool of Sufix 832 20lb. 6 mono Equiv. Line. I have never used any braided line before but was thinking about trying it. Anyone have any Pro's or Con's/ Issues with it? I bought one spool as of now, but if I like it i may switch over to it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

GLAD you posted this----I'm also would like to know

Post Thanks / Like

You will loose less jigs, fill more strikes, it does not sink as fast as mono and will cast further. The only down fall is wind knots and they are harder to get out . this is my experience on a spinning reel for casting jigs. It didnt work well with a float ether. But I like the braid and think you will as well. Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

I have not used the 832, but I have used Sufix Performance Braid. Braid has less stretch than mono, so be careful about how you set the hook. Setting the hook too hard will rip it right out of their mouth. The Sufix I used was very limp, which is both good and bad. Extreme limpness means it casts further than mono, but you also get the wind knots cur mentioned and it's more prone to wrapping around the guides or rod tip when pitching. It's also very noisy when running through the guides. I did not have any problems using it with a float, but I always used a leader, which I also advise. Tying on a leader of mono or fluorocarbon with a lower breaking strength means you'll lose less line when you snag up, and that stuff is too expensive to be breaking off.

Eventually I discovered Nanofil and switched to that. It still casts a mile and does not have problems with tangles and wind knots.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use that brand, but I can address some of the issues brought up :

Wind knots - these can be reduced by not using a overhand, fast wrist snap casting motion. Make your casts with a more fluid motion.

Float use : braid is slicker than mono, so you will want to double or triple wrap your braid around the clip/post of your float. Slip float use may require the use of a "dog bone" or "ladder" shaped plastic bobber stop, rather than the rubber ball or string type stops. (I'm only postulating, here, because I really don't have much experience with braid & float use)

You would also be wise to purchase a pair of Child Size Fiskar Scissors. Check in your local Xmart store's school supplies or crafts sections ... & you can usually find them for ~$3.00
    These scissors will cut braid clean & blunt ... making it much easier to put the tag end thru a small hook/jig eye.
    A short piece of wood dowel is also a good item to have ... in order to wrap the braid around, when you're hung up & need to pull on it to free your hook from a snag (or bend it open). Braid will cut you, or your cork/foam rod handles, if you use them to wrap the braid around.

You might also want to back off your drag just a tad, if it's set for use with mono. Braid doesn't stretch much, so all the power of your hookset is transmitted to the end of your line thru the rod. You also won't have to set the hook with near as much power or speed, since the only thing that will "move" will be the rod tip.

You will also want to spool your reel with old mono, about 1/2 - 2/3 of capacity, then tie the braid onto the tag end of that mono & finish filling the reel spool. This does two things ... it keeps the braid from slipping around your spool, and it keeps you from using the whole line spool to fill your reel (saving you $$, & allowing you to fill multiple reels)

One thing I did learn about braid, is that it will "sing" when reeled thru certain types of rod guides. I found the noise to be irritating, so I only use it on rods with ceramic insert guides. The noise is greatly reduced, and much less irritating. It can/will cut grooves in the guides of some cheap brands of rod, if those guides are the soft metal types.

Braid is light, & doesn't absorb water (like mono) ... so it does tend to float. When wet it can be a bit "clingy" to anything it comes in contact with. And being light, it does bow in a breeze, more than mono.

I've used braid for awhile, now ... and those are some of the things I've learned/experienced.

While I do mostly cast with it, the last time I used it for more of a vertical jigging presentation, I learned that ... with mono, I was seeing a line jump & feeling a little "tic" thru the rod tip --- with braid, I was seeing a line jump & feeling a serious "thump" (using the same bait & presentation, and catching the same size fish). The no stretch limpness of braid increased the sensitivity/feel of the strike, by a factor of 2-3 times that of mono.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Good primer on superline use, crappiepappy! I can't think of a thing to add.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think it sounds like he hit the nail on the head.... Thanks alot for sharing all the great info! I'm sure others appreciate it also.... I will be posting my experience with it after the first trip.

Post Thanks / Like

The Sufix braids are some of the best solid core braided lines out on the market with the edge going to the 832 product over the performance braid (which is an excellent line that I use in saltwater, I just don't like its casting characteristics with panfish weight lures). 832 comes in the neon tangerine color which I have found to be far more visible to my eyes in glaring sunlight when compared to the high vis yellow mono/braids out there. I think it casts better than PowerPro on conventional reels. My personal favorite line for spinning applications is still Berkley Fireline because it was designed for the spinning reel spool and I have far less issues with it and very light lure weights when compared to other braided or fused lines.

Post Thanks / Like

been using it for a couple years now, great line, it does absorb water your crankbaits run deeper and your jig stay more vertical

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

hookin&cookin, I am glad to hear that. I am getting ready to spool some on, I will be using it on spinning reels and was wondering how much mono do you spool first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast