Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slowing down the trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slowing down the trolling motor

I have an old three speed trollling motor that is to fast for trolling.Anybody got any ideas on slowing it down.I was thinking of grinding on the prop.One of the guys on Wylie does this on his kicker.Or maybe a big variable resistor[speed pot].How does the factory do it?Do they put three different windings in the motor or do they put in resistors.I'm sure the new ones use some type of DC Drive.But this one is pretty old.

Post Thanks / Like

I would use a variable ten turn resistor if I were you. Ask Cane pole how to do that as he is the expert on electronics around here.

Quote Originally Posted by cspen
    I have an old three speed trollling motor that is to fast for trolling.Anybody got any ideas on slowing it down.I was thinking of grinding on the prop.One of the guys on Wylie does this on his kicker.Or maybe a big variable resistor[speed pot].How does the factory do it?Do they put three different windings in the motor or do they put in resistors.I'm sure the new ones use some type of DC Drive.But this one is pretty old.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks moose I kinda figured that would be up your alley.Seems like you know alot about alot of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Cane pole

Can you give me any advice on the speed pot.What size,where to get it?

Thanks chris

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What u need

You would need a 50 Watt, 2 ohm , 1 turn rheostat. Connect this in series with your Power in line. Note that these things are not waterproof, and you would have to build a box to put them in, but it will work. They are power hogs., but a good battery will keep it going. Ain't cheep either. They run about 30+ bucks. I don't know crap about trimming props, but it might be your more economical route. Then again, I just bought a new prop for my Motorguide. 50 Georges with S/H.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

another way would be to get a length of heavy log chain. Tie rope on and let the chain drag. What I have seen is about 25 pounds. This will create extra drag. The more chain that is actually dragging the bottom the slower boat will move. This is tactic also used to control boat better especially in windy conditions. Can adjust how much chain is dragging to control speed.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep

You can get this at most electronic/electrical suppliers. I get stuff at digikey.com. Type in 50 watt rheostat in the search address. I am with Ranger here though. Use some method of drag to slow the boat. Try a drag bucket (5 gal plastic bucket dropped over the rear of boat). Don't let it sink to the bottom, just slightly submerged. You would be supprised how stable it makes the boat. I use them with my pontoon (drifting). I cut a bunch of 1 inch holes in the bucket to help with sinking and retrieving the bucket. I am sure there are many methods to slow the boat that I am not aware that exist. This is just what I do. I know it works.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Default drift sock

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    You can get this at most electronic/electrical suppliers. I get stuff at digikey.com. Type in 50 watt rheostat in the search address. I am with Ranger here though. Use some method of drag to slow the boat. Try a drag bucket (5 gal plastic bucket dropped over the rear of boat). Don't let it sink to the bottom, just slightly submerged. You would be supprised how stable it makes the boat. I use them with my pontoon (drifting). I cut a bunch of 1 inch holes in the bucket to help with sinking and retrieving the bucket. I am sure there are many methods to slow the boat that I am not aware that exist. This is just what I do. I know it works.
    You could just use a drift sock to slow the boat down. It would work like the logging chain ideal. It also would be great on a river system or on windy days. I thought about it for the river part of the lake when they are generating water at the dam.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

put a button in line they call it a bigfoot that is made for troling motors . just bump it as often as it takes to keep up the speed you want .when you git a bite you would want to stop anyway or hang up . go into the wend that will slow you down . i alwayes troll into the wend .papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys I got alot out of this and I'm sure its going to help.The bucket trick sounds pretty economical,So I think I will try that next time out.I'm probably going to invest in the speed pot though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast