Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spider Rigging in the Springand Summer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider Rigging in the Springand Summer

I have a stupid question here... I'm new at this spider rigging thing and wanted to know if you should use spider rigging in the summer and spring. I know the fish move to shallower water in the spring but can you still use the spider rig then?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

If that shallow water is not loaded with a lot of cover you could but if its got cover you will be snagged , hung up, and tangled a lot.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I fish some lakes that have good flats that are 3-6' deep during and just after the spawn. Since not all the fish go to the beds and spawn at once, I will drag some minners through those flats and regularly pick up fish.
    As far as summer goes, I will burn out before the fish do. You can catch plenty of fish in summer or spring spider rigging/trolling.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it year around, just rig a little differently. When fishing for shallow spawing fish in stumps, lily pad stems, etc. we push under floats.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Go to MS board and look at 2 fools thread. Scott and I were spider-rigging in 6-10 FOW along the creek and the spawn is on, males got their courting colors on, so yes you can SR during the spawn. We seldom go too shallow to SR. Normally in the summer we pull CB's, too hot to sit still, use a shade. But YMMV.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff