Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Up front - Add another unit or a monitor?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up front - Add another unit or a monitor?

So here's the deal. I recently purchased a 898 and mounted it at the dash. I used it for the first time this past weekend and really enjoy all the features it has, though I have a ton to learn! Anyway, when fishing, I'm spend nearly all my time on the bow, running the trolling motor. As a result, I can't readily see my 898, making it useless when I'm jigging or casting. Since I stretched the wife's patience getting the 898, another unit of that price is completely out of the question. I might be able to weasel $300-400.

So, I've considered two different options.

1. Buy an inexpensive LCD monitor and hook it to my 898. I would be able to see what the 898 is reading, but would have no ability to adjust settings at the bow. Plus, I need to find an inexpensive waterproof/weather resistant monitor that isn't expensive. Also, I'd be seeing info from the back of the boat, so I'd be seeing things I've already passed.

2. Buy a 2D/DI unit such as a 596c HD DI and mount the transducer on my trolling motor. I'd have the ability to adjust settings and my transducer would be where I'm fishing. I wouldn't have SI, but would have 2D and DI.

Any thoughts from some more experienced folks? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Option #2 is the same one I had 2 years ago. 898 on console and 596 on bow. I loved the setup except for the fact that I couldn't navigate to a waypoint from the front without turning around and trying to read the 898 from 9 feet away. Needless to say this was a major pain. As long as you don't mind no way to see your waypoints from the bow your option #2 is a good one. I loved the 596! I ended up getting frustrated with the turning around thing and sold the 596 and added another networked 898 on the bow. Since you can't do that I recommend option #2. There is a thread here somewhere that covers your option #1 and from what I read there are some major drawbacks to adding a monitor such as being able to see it in sunlight, waterproofing and weight. Someone said that by the time they ended up doing everything they needed to do to make a monitor work they came close to spending almost as much as another finder would have cost them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Option #2 is the same one I had 2 years ago. 898 on console and 596 on bow. I loved the setup except for the fact that I couldn't navigate to a waypoint from the front without turning around and trying to read the 898 from 9 feet away. Needless to say this was a major pain. As long as you don't mind no way to see your waypoints from the bow your option #2 is a good one. I loved the 596! I ended up getting frustrated with the turning around thing and sold the 596 and added another networked 898 on the bow. Since you can't do that I recommend option #2. There is a thread here somewhere that covers your option #1 and from what I read there are some major drawbacks to adding a monitor such as being able to see it in sunlight, waterproofing and weight. Someone said that by the time they ended up doing everything they needed to do to make a monitor work they came close to spending almost as much as another finder would have cost them.
    Thanks for the in-depth reply! I think that's the route I'll likely go. I'd love to just network another SI unit, but after buying a new trolling motor, the 898, and other stuff, plus another kid on the way, I better slow down, lol!

I did recently add a Terrova with I-pilot, so if I need to check waypoints, I can walk back to look at the 898 and steer the boat with the remote control. Plus, where I mounted my 898 on the RAM mount, I can turn around if I need to, it's just a pain to do often. Given the fact that I can't spend more now, I'll likely buy the 596 and just upgrade in a year or two.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

Since $$$ are an issue, as they are with most of us, I bought my units at www.universalmania.com. Right now the 596HD DI is going for $366.88 there, which is $40 or so cheaper than most places are asking. That is where I bought all 3 of my units (596 and 2-898's) and all were at my house 2-3 days after I placed my order.

Post Thanks / Like

How about Option #3:
    Install a second transducer, power cable, Connector Collector, GPS Receiver and RAM mount base at the bow and move your 898 back and forth as needed.
    Greg Walters at Humminbird
    [email protected]
    I help because I can

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbird_Greg View Post
    How about Option #3:
    Install a second transducer, power cable, Connector Collector, GPS Receiver and RAM mount base at the bow and move your 898 back and forth as needed.
    That one crossed my mind too, and perhaps I didn't think about it enough. I just didn't want to be constantly moving the screen multiple times per trip. I know it isn't difficult, so call me lazy, lol! I ended up ordering a 596c HD DI. I'll likely upgrade to another SI unit in down the road.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Humminbird_Greg View Post
    How about Option #3:
    How does the cost of all of this compare to buying a 598 unit with side imaging on it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tony McCall View Post
    How does the cost of all of this compare to buying a 598 unit with side imaging on it?
    I bought my 596 for $366. The 598 would have been around $700. With all the crap I've bought lately, I had to draw the line somewhere and the 596 was that line. But, for $350ish, I could have stepped up to the 598.

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

These are your own words...
    Anyway, when fishing, I'm spend nearly all my time on the bow, running the trolling motor.

Where you spend 99% of your fishing day would seem to be the most likely place to mount your most expensive electronics..

Why have $2000 sitting at the console if you're only there 1% of the day..??

I vote Greg's option #3...for the best of both worlds until you can afford 2 networkable units...

Rickie
    Last edited by rnvinc; 04-23-2013 at 05:41 PM.
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    These are your own words...
    Anyway, when fishing, I'm spend nearly all my time on the bow, running the trolling motor.

Where you spend 99% of your fishing day would seem to be the most likely place to mount your most expensive electronics..

Why have $2000 sitting at the console if you're only there 1% of the day..??

I vote Greg's option #3...for the best of both worlds until you can afford 2 networkable units...

Rickie
    I see your point, but here's why I did what I did. I figured I wanted SI at the wheel, so when I'm driving I can see what's around me as I cover water. Once I find the spot I'd like to fish, I use the 596 while fishing up front. The transducer will be right in front of me, as opposed to in the back of the boat. Also, I assumed the SI wouldn't get used as much when I'm stationary fishing, or slowing moving around a spot or obstacles like docks. The stand alone DI up front would allow me to see structure directly under me while fishing. Also, with the transducer being on the troller, I figured the SI wouldn't work as well, with the constant turning. Perhaps it wasn't the right choice, as I'm a bit of a rookie with these units, but that's how I came to that conclusion. Although I spend 99% of my fishing time up front, I am behind the wheel plenty when moving or locating spots, so the SI does get used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast