Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Green Stuff

I have recently purchased a used pontoon boat. Algae is growing in the carpet and I haven't found anything to kill it. I can blast it with my power washer. But, it reappears if the carpet gets damp afterwards. I have killed this stuff with diluted bleach off vinal siding before. But, I am afraid to put bleach on the carpet. Any ideas fellers??
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the same boat you are....no pun intended. I'm glad you asked this question. I've been letting the sun dry it up, but it comes back like you said. I'm afraid to use bleach also. Hope somebody ou there has a cure.

fishinRod
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this would work or not ,but you might want to check into it...Why not some of the algeacide like you put into a pool..Maybe delute it a little before you put it on your carpet.Or better yet put it into a carpet shampooer and clean your carpet with it.Just a thought....I would call the pool dealers to see what they say .
    Last edited by crappiequeennc; 08-23-2006 at 07:49 AM.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiequeennc
    Not sure if this would work or not ,but you might want to check into it...Why not some of the algeacide like you put into a pool..Maybe delute it a little before you put it on your carpet.Or better yet put it into a carpet shampooer and clean your carpet with it.Just a thought....

Sounds like an idea, but I'd test it out somewhere (or on something) inconspicuous first. I know a lot of these have copper in them, which is the ingredient that can turn blonde hair green. There is a kind that uses polyquat as the active ingredient, that one might be better. Not sure, but certainly an idea!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if this will work on carpets or not but I get algae on the sideing on my house and I use "Simple Green" and it works real good. But Like Anchorpuller says, I would test it on a small spot first.

-REDBOAT

Post Thanks / Like

Dont't get Simple Green on your windshield (if it's "Plexiglas" or "Lexan") or the lense on your graphs - it will eat them up! I found out the hard way.

A weak bleach solution should kill the algea and not hurt the carpet but it will keep coming back every time you get lake water on it. Drying it out real well in the sun or with fans will slow it down some.

I'll NEVER have another boat with carpet in it - I hope!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

George Depper Guest

Default What to do

Hey guys, I suggest a chlorine free bleach. Again, try it in an area that people won't see just in case something happen. If you use the algie pool stuff, get the stuff that last three months in pools. It goes for about 20 to 25 dollars a bottle but works well in keeping the algie (sp) out of my pool.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought here, but I have found that Grease Lightning from Lowes hardware cleans about anything (and its cheap!). I have even started using it on carpets now that I have learned that it doesn't stain or change the color of fabric. I don't know how it would work on algae but it is a degreaser and it seems to clean anything I have found so far. Might want to take one corner of the boat and try it. Also, if the Algae is reappearing, then it must be in deep in the carpet or maybe even all the way through it to the wood underneath, so put the cleaner on real thick so it can soak down to the source.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's algae I don't really know much, but if it's mildew then I do know it takes Bleach. Washing it off will just give it a bath Like if you get it on your house. Mildew is clear and attracts the surrounding color of the dust/dirt in the area. As far as I know the only thing that kills it is Bleach.

Water 90% & Bleach 10% mix will do it!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

contact a carpet cleaning service and see what kind of enzymes they use. this will eat the algae and prevent its return.
    Scott

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast