Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Controlled Trolling Motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hand Controlled Trolling Motors

Does any body use hand controlled trolling motors? If so why If not why?
    In the market for a new one, kinda want to try a hand controlled but not sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a tiller model.It's a Minkota 40lb thrust. I use it on the back of a 16' Starcraft with a side counsel. The reason I have it is because I have an electric anchor mounted on the front so there was no room for a bow mount. My wife fishes with me all the time and the tiller just works better for us. I have had a bow mount with a foot control. It worked good too. Just a matter of choice. The foot control ones are more $$.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a 80 lb. MK Terrova with I-Pilot....wireless remote control. I do have a foot pedal that I use on it sometimes but I really like the remote contol.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

On my old boat I used a hand control because I Green Carp fished most of my life. Found I could control boat beter for casting. Now that I spider rig I went to Terrova because of all the features it provides. If I did nothing but single pole I would still use a hand control. Big thing is what type fishing are you going to do?
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cray View Post
    On my old boat I used a hand control because I Green Carp fished most of my life. Found I could control boat beter for casting. Now that I spider rig I went to Terrova because of all the features it provides. If I did nothing but single pole I would still use a hand control. Big thing is what type fishing are you going to do?
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

hand control with hot button , more control in heavy trees/brush .

Post Thanks / Like

hand control!!! for over 30 years. less parts to replace, more deck space, it will always go in the direction it is pointed. ya just need to set it up to you..........

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bow mount hand "tiller" type. Originally, I went to it to get all of the clutter away from my feet in the front of my stick steer. But, I found out it made control a lot easier. Use the "hot" button. Some call them the "big foot" button. It will make it even easier to use. I don't think you will be disappointed going to hand control.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

I had a hand (tiller) controlled TM, was a great motor, but i hated it.....I single pole cast as much as i troll, single pole casting made controlling my retrieve and my TM at the same time a pain....vert trolling was pretty easy with it......long lining in any kind of wind was again a pain......took it off and replaced it with an I pilot and for the most part am pretty happy with the wireless remote type control.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeepguyjames View Post
    I had a hand (tiller) controlled TM, was a great motor, but i hated it.....I single pole cast as much as i troll, single pole casting made controlling my retrieve and my TM at the same time a pain....vert trolling was pretty easy with it......long lining in any kind of wind was again a pain......took it off and replaced it with an I pilot and for the most part am pretty happy with the wireless remote type control.
    Yep Terrova with I-Pilot is great
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast