Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is the difference in how you fish for black crappie during the spawn opposed to

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the difference in how you fish for black crappie during the spawn opposed to

Black crappie are supposed to spawn earlier in the year than white crappie. How do you fish differently for them than white crappie?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Black crappie seem to like clearer and shallower water. Whites seem to orient to cover in deeper areas. The shallow areas will warm up quicker so they should spawn earlier as a rule. On KY/Barkley we find the blacks on rocky banks and target them with roadrunners, spinners or minnows under a bobber. I caught several good blacks last year on an 1/8 oz jighead with a clothes-pin willow leaf spinner and Southern Pro Hot Grub in water that couldn't have been over 1 foot deep on rock banks. That bite didn't last too long but it was a blast while it was on.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

When you say rock banks are you talking about chunk rock or more like pea gravel ?

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally chunk rock. I'm chasing shellcrackers on pea gravel.

The banks I mentioned in my post were mixed gravel but mostly chunk.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff