Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ice devouring plague ravages Northern Michigan lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice devouring plague ravages Northern Michigan lakes

Oh yeah, I see it, slowly creeping its’ way around the northeast corner of Ross Lake. Inching ever so slowly to the south, soon to be moving in from the northwest, like a plague ravaging the frozen surface of the lake. It is only a matter of a couple weeks and it will have taken over every lake and pond in the area, and I for one could not be happier, for this ice devouring plague I speak of is open water, and with it comes early season panfishing.
    My gear is ready. With new line spooled on my ultralight rod and reel combos, and my tackle pack cleaned and restocked, I am ready to get in the kayak and head to my favorite ice out crappie and bluegill holes.. I am truly looking forward to that first awkward paddle, bundled in insulated jacket and pants as if I were going ice fishing. I am ready to feel the thump of that first Spring slab on the end of my line.
    I know my hands will be numb as the water runs down my paddle onto exposed fingers. Tying jigs and baiting lures will be a challenge. It is a challenge that could come with no reward what so ever because those early ice out panfish can often be hard to find, and quite finicky once they have been located. But this is a challenge that I am willing to tackle for if the timing, location, and bait presentation are all just right, the rewards can be great.
    To me there is nothing like watching my clear bobber being slowly dragged under the waters’ surface on the years’ first open water fishing adventure. Nothing matches that bend in the rod as I slowly swing my rod up and away from the water, knowing that this time of year finding one almost always means many fish. I will be more than happy to dip my bare hand into the 36 degree water to retrieve that first fish of the season, and just as happy to release it, not wanting to break a longtime personal tradition. But once that first fish is released it will be game on.
    One fat slab after another will fall victim to a micro jig and soft plastic bait. Big bluegills and crappies gorging themselves prior to the approaching spawn will take my offering one after another, and before I know it my first stringer of the season will be in my hand, held up for all to see as my cameras’ timer hits zero and the shutter clicks.
    Name:  2930_1088657169313_7004542_n.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  71.7 KB
    Last edited by slabsrus; 03-25-2013 at 08:47 AM. Reason: add image,reset text
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good.
    THE Nimrod Kid