Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spring bobbers

Post Thanks / Like

Question Spring bobbers

I tried to find this subject in a search ,but got nowhere.
    On the old forum we were discussing ice fishing and ice rod making and someone - don't recall who - gave directions on how to make a very simple spring bobber for an ice rod using a spring from an old ballpoint pen.

Anyone out there who can help? Thanks. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know about making them Roberta, but I seen some nice new ones at Wal-Mart and bought me two. I havent tried them yet so I dont know how well they work.

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta, I like to use springs from Bic Lighters the longer ones.I'll use a small bright colored bead for the one end and shrink tubing on the other end.Using a drill bit the size of the spring,I drill the hole bigger half way through the bead,then I put the spring in the bead.Depending on the size of your rod tip you might have to use several different size shrink tubing in layers on the other end of the spring to make it fit real snug in the rod tip and I only put 3/4" long of the shrink tubing on the spring.You can also do this without the bead if you wish and just paint the spring a bright color.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default spring bobber

All you have to do is pull the spring to stretch it out. Make sure one end still has a round hole to it, and the other has enough to wrap or twist onto the end of your ice rod.

You can pick up a pack of two spring bobbers for $1 at most stores that sell ice fishing gear, so I don't know why you would experiment with cheap pen springs when you can buy the real thing for so cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

We haven't seen them at the local KMart, so I thought I'd make a couple until we get somewhere that sells them (like the bait shop at Windy Point on GLSM). Don't want to make a long drive for such a small item, but we'll keep looking.
    Wish it would get cold and stay that way. This up and down stuff is a pain. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

PGottshall Guest

Roberta,

e-mail me & I'll mail you a couple.

Paul