Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: longlining holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default longlining holders

what rodholders do the longliners prefer,i have 6 sets of hiteks on my boat now but thinking about trying something different on the rear.would like suggestions from people who run their poles like in the picture,affraid i might loose a pole if i run the poles parallel to the water with my hiteks,thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

The thing to remember is a fish pulls down on the rod tip and this puts pressure on the rod butt in the holder. I have never had a rod pull out, I would like to know how many folks have had rods pulled out and what were the circumstances and how was rod to holder etc?

Post Thanks / Like

I have these from bass pro Bass Pro ShopsŪ Rod Holder Twin Pack | Bass Pro Shops. I have useed them the last 3 years without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

dont care about whos lost or not lost what,just what type of holders people recomend besides what i got,still gonna keep what i got just in case ,but dont want to loose a rod.

Post Thanks / Like

Get a type like the Driftmaster T 250, I have had these and put the reels inside the holder and there is no way a fish can pull it out.

M R Dux is online now Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have trolled Bandits, longlined and spider-rigged with my hiteks and am yet to lose a rod. That includes hooking and landing drums and catfish over 10 pounds when trolling.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

None most of the time, but I do have Bee Ready Rod Holders as I didn't want to drill holes in my boat, but when long lining I hold my one rod unless I need to get up for something and just stick it in a rod holder for a short time.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have Hi-Teks in the front for spider rigging and pushin' but have Driftmaster Lil Pro's in the rear that I pull cranks and longline jigs with. I had them on my catfishing boat and just moved them over and like them just fine. I have them on the smaller Driftmaster t-bars and I have not had one rod even so much as loosen up in the holder when I've snagged bottom with a Bandit or hooked into a 20+ pound blue cat. Hi-Tek makes a great product, I just used what I had and the Driftmasters have worked out extremely well for me on the back of my bass boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Driftmaster, LTH holders, Perrotti, Cumberland are all good for longlining! I use LTH! I would not recommend Hi-tek or Bee ready style for longlining! I have used many over the years and fish on one of the most popular longlining lakes in the world. We longline 90% of the year with great success and I have averaged as many as 3 days week on the water some years. Just trying t give you a fair review not helping sponsors or friends, trying to save someone money and make fishing more productive/enjoyable. Your rod tips should be pointed down when longlining out the back, as close to the water as possible with the weight of you and your partner standing back there. This will keep most of your line underwater and allow fish to be fought over lines with less tangles. You will not have a problem seeing bites. I also keep all poles out the back inside the corners of the transom to allow for the front lines drifting on turns. Use 6 to 8 footers out the back to have leverage to fight fish, but not bulky and sticking to far out to maneuver fish around. At the front start with your longest rod first then drop two feet per rod to the back for spacing of lines to get a good spread and have less tangles. Example: 14footer first, then 12, then 10 and so on. Also start with front rod slightly higher than second and drop down towards the rear, keeping tips as close to the water as possible when two people stand at one side this is so when netting a fish you can still keep tips above the water surface. For the back rods you want to lock reels behind holder or modify to keep from being snatched out. I use a piece of hanger mounted on the butt just behind the reel to allow quick removable from the holder. I have posted pics before of this modification on the Fla board if you want I can find and repost. Hope this helps!http://www.crappie.com/crappie/flori...n-ooops-2.html
    Last edited by crappielimits; 03-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Herewego View Post
    The thing to remember is a fish pulls down on the rod tip and this puts pressure on the rod butt in the holder. I have never had a rod pull out, I would like to know how many folks have had rods pulled out and what were the circumstances and how was rod to holder etc?
    This is not a longliner and yes rods pull out, but this thread is not about this if you want start another thread and we can talk more inn depth about your question, but I hate to rob his thread! Looking at your location I would bet you spider rig most of the time, which is very different out the back of the boat flatlining at higher speeds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast