Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jigging Casting Rod & Reel Recommendations for Crappie & pan fish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigging Casting Rod & Reel Recommendations for Crappie & pan fish

I looking for some recommendations for a casting rod and reel for jigging for Crappies and pan fish.

I have been using a light action 7 foot St. Croix Premeir Spinning Rod with a Shimano 1000 Reel for a few years.
    It's a great rod with good to very good sensitivity and the reel is light and extremely smooth.

The problem when jigging is if you want to let out a little more line you have to either release the anti-backup lever and let reel turn freely, including the handle or open the bale.
    If a fish hits while doing this you have a good chance of missing the hit or putting slack in the line and loosing the fish.

I am thinking with a casting rig, I could thumb the free wheeler lever and gauge the line out with my thumb as a brake. If a fish hits I just apply more pressure with my thumb and then re-engage the reel when appropriate.

I would prefer a rod around 8' long.

Am I nuts or is this a good idea??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trout Bum View Post
    The problem when jigging is if you want to let out a little more line you have to either release the anti-backup lever and let reel turn freely, including the handle or open the bale.
    If a fish hits while doing this you have a good chance of missing the hit or putting slack in the line and loosing the fish.
    I view this as a very minor problem. The outfit you have if fine, IMO, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a bait caster from word go but their is not one out there that you can cast those light jigs with. Think you get really frustrated. If that is the approach you want to take I would recommend going to one of the more high end push button spin casters. Same concept just using push button to lock line and performance of a spinning reel.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I use Pro Angler 2 pc 8 footer, works good with baitcaster. PAT801