Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smaller Deep V boats, which one?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smaller Deep V boats, which one?

I apologize in advance, some of this I asked about in another thread.

I am in the market for an aluminum boat that's small enough for a guy with a bad back to manage, and that I can tow behind my 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma.

I looked at a Lund Mr Pike 16 today that was just too much boat for what I want. I could barely get in and out of it from shore (bad back) and I am paying for overdoing it tonight.

So I'm either going to get a smaller deep V (preferred) or a "bass boat" style boat.

I will be fishing in small lakes, plus occasional trips to bigger lakes. I love to catch (and eat) crappie, but I also fish for whatever is biting, and enjoy trolling for white bass, stripers, wipers, walleye, etc.

I know of three small deep V's

Tracker Super Guide
    TRACKER Boats : Deep V Boats : 2013 Super Guide V-16 SC Description

Alumacraft Fisherman 160 CS
    Alumacraft : Fisherman Series : Fisherman 160 CS

G3 V167
    Angler V167 C & V167 T - Economical, Multi-Species Aluminum Deep V Fishing Boat | G3 Boats

These are all pretty similar, but there are pros and cons that I've seen to each one.

Tracker
    - It's a Tracker, somewhat bad reputation, but I can't find a single owner of this boat who isn't happy with it.
    - side by side seating, big plus
    - .100 hull thickness
    - 40 hp Merc 4 stroke

Alumacraft
    - Very bare bones, no instrumentation at al, portable gas tank, no trolling motor
    - .070/.065 hull material. I saw one at a Marine dealer, new boat with dents and dings all over it. Seems too thin
    - Don't like the seating layout, prefer side by side seating

G3
    - .080 hull, doubled at the bow
    - Same seating layout as the Alumacraft, don't care for it
    - trolling motor is extra
    - Yamaha motor, 60hp max

The dinged up Alumacraft I saw in Fort Worth kind of spoiled me on that boat. The G3 is interesting because of their good reputation, and the Yamaha motor. If I could get the Tracker with a Honda or Yamaha motor, I'd be all over it.

So have any of you been out in any of these boats? or own one of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Look into Crestliner boats. They offer a 14' deep-V, open hull boat (with flat flooring inside that is coated with Rhino-coat) that is the WIDEST 14' boat on the market. Very stable and a great fishing machine. I've been in one for many years and can tell you they are tops. I too suffer from back problems and with the roller bunk trailer, she launches and pulls off quite easily. Compact, yet providing ample fishing space for two people. You could do a lot worse, that's for sure! Mine is a tiller model, which I find works beautifully with a 25 HP 4-Stroke Yamaha tiller engine (rated for 35). Here's a link:

Sport Utility Boat - Crestliner Sportsman - Working Boat
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Only negative about my tracker super guide is I wish I had more storage. However, with this size boat there is only so much room. The open recessed floor plan makes for a great ride and even better fishing. The wind is an issue with any small aluminum boat too, but, since putting the double seat by Cumberland crappie up front I'm able to fish alot on windy days that before just blew me away. The tracker seems to have a little lower profile to the water which helps alot. My buddies Alumacraft is a kite in the wind with the high sides. Can you buy a more expensive boat, sure you can. Will it do any better helping you catch fish? I doubt it. Good luck with your purchase and enjoy whatever you decide on.

Post Thanks / Like

Starcraft 14' SF DLX Or Pro Troller 140 If I was to buy another boat right now thats what id be gunning for. Good luck with your choice.

Oh BTW Lund makes a small V Bow called a Fury, B M & T is only $7999
    "Kids who hunt and fish dont steal and deal"

2012 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2012 Buggs Bash Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my thoughts. If ya got a bad back why not an express HP16PF stick steer Crappie | Xpress Boats You only get up to pee or lower/raise trolling motor. Add a smoothmoves seat mount Smooth Moves Seat Mounts, Big Water Smooth Ride, Boat Seat Suspensions, Crestliner, Alumacraft, Ranger, Walleye Fishing, Minnesota and your day should be as pain free as possible. But whichever way you decide I would certainly entertain that seat mount. And no, I have no interest in that company at all, just hear alot of good things about the seat mount.

And as far as concerns about that Mercury motor why? The small 4 strokes are made by Tohatsu and they are pretty much bombproof.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Alumacraft Classic 165CS and love it. Easy to handle, load and unload. The only problem that I have with it is that it doesn't handle the wind very well. But, I guess that's what you get with any small aluminum boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to confuse you more, but smokercraft, princecraft, starcraft/starweld all have smaller aluminum deep-vee's.

If you are steeping into a boat from shore, a lower profile jon boat will be much easier. If you going from a dock, it can be a long way down into a Vee, however most have rod lockers that make fine steps.

Might also want to look at the smaller Carolina Skiff styled boats. Side height will be between a jon and v.

Post Thanks / Like

There are tons of choices for deep Vs in the 16' range.

Smoker Craft is a good choice now that they've gone to a single piece hull. Gregor Boats are also very nice.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16 ft tracker pro angler and that thing rocks. Got a 50 hp merc 4 stroke on it. I have it loaded to the gills and it still gets on plane and rides well. Handles rough water good also. Cant ask for a better boat IMHO. Everyone who has fished with me complements me on the overall experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat a Lund! Nuff said!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast