Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing line

Many of the old timers that fish crappie around here fish with 6lb test main line and a leader of 4lb or 8lb main with a leader of 6lb. on their spinning outfits.

The most common rod length is probably 7ft. but many use a very light weight 5.7 too (with a ultra light spinning reel, Wally Marshall type)

I only recently began fishing for crappie specifically and have been using 6lb test ultra clear Spider without a leader.

I'm curious to know the different set ups people use when rigging up their spinning outfits.

Thanks
    Hoot
    "You should have been here yesterday!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Many of the old timers that fish crappie around here fish with 6lb test main line and a leader of 4lb or 8lb main with a leader of 6lb. on their spinning outfits.

The most common rod length is probably 7ft. but many use a very light weight 5.7 too (with a ultra light spinning reel, Wally Marshall type)

I only recently began fishing for crappie specifically and have been using 6lb test ultra clear Spider without a leader.

I'm curious to know the different set ups people use when rigging up their spinning outfits.

Thanks
    Hoot
    Think I am going to give a braid line a try. Need an extra spool first and going to buy another 12 foot rod this spring.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    Think I am going to give a braid line a try. Need an extra spool first and going to buy another 12 foot rod this spring.
    Duane - Do you use a leader of different weight?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm using 15lb PowerPro on my little reels and so far its working out real good.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I'm using 15lb PowerPro on my little reels and so far its working out real good.
    are you using a leader ¿
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm using the wrong term. Some of these guys here use 8lb test and drop down to 4lb test. "Leader" might not be what you would call it. But they rig their lines up so that if they get hung up they don't loose bobber and all.

I guess the thought is that the less visible the line is the better for crappie and they feel that by dropping down from 8 to 6 it helps. Some are 6 to 4lb.

Not sure this makes sense to read.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    are you using a leader ¿
    Sometimes, but normally no.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Sometimes, but normally no.
    What weight line do you normally use for crappie fishing. I was using 6lb but have gone to 8lb.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Pline - CX Premium Fluorocarbon Fishing Line in 6 pd. I've tried most everything else (braids, colored lines...etc) It handles great, no twisting, and
    it is very sensitive! Last summer I tried something close to a dozen lines, and this
    one covered all the bases for me!
    "Gloves Up!"
    Rick.
    Formally: BoxingRef_Rick.

Post Thanks / Like

Default P Line

Quote Originally Posted by boxingref_rick
    I use the Pline - CX Premium Fluorocarbon Fishing Line in 6 pd. I've tried most everything else (braids, colored lines...etc) It handles great, no twisting, and
    it is very sensitive! Last summer I tried something close to a dozen lines, and this
    one covered all the bases for me!
    "Gloves Up!"
    Rick.
    I started using PLine high-vis about 3 years ago on all my saltwater rigs - it cast great and is light line for 15lb test - but I have to change about every other month seems my line starts to coil up on my open face spinning tackle
    works better on my baitcasters - have used 8 lb test on my crappie rigs but it starts to coil after awhile also - I am going to powerpro or fireline on my crappie rigs
    crap-king
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast