Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ammonia in bait tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ammonia in bait tank

Has anyone with a large tank (50-100 gallon) had issues with an abundance of foam? I understand when ammonia levels are high that you get foam with any sort of aeration or filtration that stirs the water up, but I perform maintenance frequent on my tank and can't figure out the minnows are releasing so much ammonia. I've checked with about everyone I know to and nobody seems to know a logical answer based on what I've done through troubleshooting so far. It always happens in the water change though. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you saying it just happens after you change your water? If that is the case it would be something in your water. I have a 100 gal and have never had a foaming problem. I add a little bait saver as soon as I change water and add a couple of Tablespoons every couple of weeks. You might also try adding some salt from the aquarium store,not to much 2-3 tablespoons.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ammonia in bait tank

I agree with Cray. You didn't mention how much water you change at a time. If you drain much more than a third of the volume it will stress the minnows and they will release lots of ammonia. I use a RV filter for mine. It not only removes chlorine but a bunch of other chemicals, as well. $17 at Wally world. When I delivered minnows to the east coast (Philly area) I put 2 cups of mixing salt in each 90 gallon tank along with 125 pounds of shiners. Salt is the best insurance you can get. Fish farmers put 100 pounds of mixing salt in a 1000 gallon vat before the unload fresh caught shiners and at least 50 pounds every time they flush them until the load them out.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

Fish waste is what causes ammonia in your tank. You need to be running a bio filter to counteract it. Any amount of ammonia in the water is bad, it poisons the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Mixing salt, pickling salt, canning salt and table salt are the same as long as it's not Iodized. Sea salt is better with fish tanks. Don't use Iodized salt, ice cream salt or road salt.
    Long branch bait shop use to add a teaspoon of table salt to your minnow bucket. They were the best minnows I could find. To bad they are closed.
    Copper and brass will make the water foam and will kill the fish. Don't use copper or brass parts with the tank. If your house is plumbed with copper, you need to run the water a couple of minutes before adding to the tank.
    Last edited by canebreaker; 03-19-2013 at 11:46 AM.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin22 View Post
    Fish waste is what causes ammonia in your tank. You need to be running a bio filter to counteract it. Any amount of ammonia in the water is bad, it poisons the fish.
    That is the reason fish farmers flush out fresh bait in those vats. Don't feed your bait as this adds to your problems.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

all good suggestions. Also don't know if you have a lid or not. If you do don't leave it all the way shut.