Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: My first trout!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first trout!

Better day at Halleck Pond than yesterday. Caught 5 trout total, put 4 back and kept one. I used corn for bait. The first rig i had was a under a slip bobber and split shot, but after no hits I choose to take it off and just keep the beads and split shot on there. While I was rigging up the second pole, i got a hit on the first and he came off as soon as i brought him out of the water. Caught the next two 15 min later. One swallowed the #8 hook, nothing i could do but snip the line and put him back.

He didn't seem to be no more than 9".

The 4th trout was a keeper, almost 12". Swallowed the hook as well.

I passed along the recommendation to a father and his two sons to take the bobber off and let it sink to the bottom. They still didn't catch anything, but the boys seemed more interested in snail shells. Kids.

Caught the 5th one and that was small as well, put him back, threw a couple handfuls of corn out into the water for them to munch on and hopefully get a little bit bigger before the water gets too warm for them. Guy told me the water was about 44 degrees. Doesn't look like it will change too much over the next week as the temps will be quite cool, should keep the trout in there alive long enough to add on some weight and size.

Post Thanks / Like

*update*

Good bunch I caught this morning. Used powerbait and corn. Just a split shot, red bead, and hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ6y6...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by ChrisCarter; 03-19-2013 at 12:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying to get some time so I can get down there, before ya catch um all out of the pond!!!!! EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    I am trying to get some time so I can get down there, before ya catch um all out of the pond!!!!! EB
    I actually have not been back there since. Unless my friend's son wants to go, I'll probably be fishing for crappie out at Wehrspann.