Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spider rigged for the 1st time. Thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spider rigged for the 1st time. Thoughts

Saturday was my first time to spider rig. There are plenty of pros on here. I thought i would share some novice insight for anyone considering it.

1) You have to be quick on the draw as far as setting the hook. You see a twitch, react. I was too slow at first and lost bites.

2) when you hook up, you have to swing that fish in immediately. I lost several fish bobbing and dangling around in the air while trying to get them in the boat off that 12 foot rod. Click the bail open get u some line and swing them right into you

3) make sure you have several rigs pretied. I only had 2 extras. I spent too much time re-rigging a double rig back on my line on the fly when i broke off. Pre rig.

4) The misconception some may have of it being boring or all you do is sit there and ride along. Not true. I had plenty to do the whole time. You are constantly adjusting different things, pulling fish off, adjusting depth, watching ff etc.... And i only had 4 rods out

5) I am an artificial only fisherman. I did not change that spider rigging. I left the lake with a limit and released and lost a bunch more

6) A big boat while alot more comfortable and can fish 2 up front isnt mandatory. I have mine rigged up in a 14 ft flatbottom. I fish smaller lakes and it works great! (Dunno how to post pics ony phone or i would share)

In conclusion spider rigging is a blast! you can really put them in the boat using this method. They were still deep and or suspended over deep water and I saw several others pole fishing not catchin jack while i was hookin up left and right cannot wait to go back and hit it again!
    Last edited by MadRussian; 03-17-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Fix numbering

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you a long-handle net. Swinging fish aboard is for 10" crappie. You will die of a broken heart trying to swing BIG crappie over the sides.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Good call. A net makes much better sense. Will pick one up asap. Funny you say that as i lost the biggest one of the day an inch from my boat. I could not believe what had just happened. Now i know!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spider rigged for the 1st time. Thoughts

And another one is hooked. Rigging is addictive.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2
    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day!

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get you some bait casting reels with a thumbar....that way you can set the hook hit the thumb bar raise the pole verticle will the line is coming out and swing the fish to the boat or beside the boat for netting all in one movement with one hand. You can use the net with your other hand.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
    Saturday was my first time to spider rig. There are plenty of pros on here. I thought i would share some novice insight for anyone considering it.

1) You have to be quick on the draw as far as setting the hook. You see a twitch, react. I was too slow at first and lost bites.

2) when you hook up, you have to swing that fish in immediately. I lost several fish bobbing and dangling around in the air while trying to get them in the boat off that 12 foot rod. Click the bail open get u some line and swing them right into you

3) make sure you have several rigs pretied. I only had 2 extras. I spent too much time re-rigging a double rig back on my line on the fly when i broke off. Pre rig.

4) The misconception some may have of it being boring or all you do is sit there and ride along. Not true. I had plenty to do the whole time. You are constantly adjusting different things, pulling fish off, adjusting depth, watching ff etc.... And i only had 4 rods out

5) I am an artificial only fisherman. I did not change that spider rigging. I left the lake with a limit and released and lost a bunch more

6) A big boat while alot more comfortable and can fish 2 up front isnt mandatory. I have mine rigged up in a 14 ft flatbottom. I fish smaller lakes and it works great! (Dunno how to post pics ony phone or i would share)

In conclusion spider rigging is a blast! you can really put them in the boat using this method. They were still deep and or suspended over deep water and I saw several others pole fishing not catchin jack while i was hookin up left and right cannot wait to go back and hit it again!
    Sounds like you had a good time. I just got my boat setup and went for the first time the other day. It was a good time to say the least, especially when I found the fish. It got really fun after 6pm cause the I couldnt keep my lines baited fast enough. I was using jigs tipped with minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Mad, it does put em in the boat, and as you said, it is a workout, lol sure does get fast an crazy, I only use 4 rods also, and just use old 9' fly rods, I tape small reels on the cork handle, I also put a stop knot up on my line @ 15', helps me know how deep my lines are, I fish drop offs mostly here @ my lake, 1 oz weight with 8lb braid, an 6lb leader works great for me, fun stuff,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Get you some bait casting reels with a thumbar....that way you can set the hook hit the thumb bar raise the pole verticle will the line is coming out and swing the fish to the boat or beside the boat for netting all in one movement with one hand. You can use the net with your other hand.
    exactly, that is why i am now 100% thumb bar bait casters.
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Post Thanks / Like

What are some good cheap thumb bar bait casters?

Post Thanks / Like

remans, really brand don't matter to me, you don't use em as they were intended. around 25 bucks, check with grizzly jig
    DEAD AS FRIED CHICKEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast