Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the spincaster reel dead??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the spincaster reel dead??

This is an off-shoot of my earlier thread on buying combo's for children. Just got both the Cabelas spring fishing catalogs as well as Bass Pro's.

In both catalogs, there are pages and pages of spinning reels and likewise for baitcasters. There's maybe one page with spincast and a small section of under-spin reels.

Why are these reels over-looked? I think that many here cut their teeth on the older Zebcos. I have a newer Daiwa spincast. I also have maybe three baticaster-type rods that would work great for a spincaster for a youngster. But where'e the selection?

I welcome input and replies.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I grew up with the spincast reels also. And have tried several different brand underspins looking for a quality/easy reel to fish with. There just isn't a quality built underspin out there IMO. About all the underspins are good for are line holders after some years of use. They will only last for a while. I've switched all my go to rods over to the President spinning reels.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah! Another Phlueger fan. Most of my spinning reels are made by them. The other week I bought a baitcaster (Templar??) at walmart just to play with. Paid maybe $50. Just to play with as I have a few baitcaster rods sitting around unused.

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up using Zebco 202's and Johnson Century reels. Modern reel designs have over shadowed most of those oldies-but-goodies. (I still have a couple of the old Centurys kicking around here somewhere!) The inherent design of the closed face spinning reel has lead to it's wane in recent years. It cannot be relied upon to quickly set the bail pin and bring the line tight quick enough. Instant line pick up is paramount with most presentations these days.

Also, instant anti-reverse is not a usual feature of the closed face design, even with the modern models still being offered today. Add the nagging propensity toward line slipping under the bail pin cup and getting tangled there! (Wish I had a nickle for every time that happened!) With these reels you have too many not-too-desirable reel performance issues to deal with. There are just too many quality, in-expensive, open face spinning reels to choose from, which make them far superior, in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with using them; just why accept the grief that goes with it, when there are so many better alternatives!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a ZO2 last year for my redear outfit. It seems to be a great reel but the main reason I bought it was for the super-slow line retrieve that isn't available on most spinning reels.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Crestliner, I think they are an inferior design. Just too many things can and do go wrong to make them a preferred option.

If it weren't for kids and some elderly holdouts, they might be gone from the market altogether. Their one redeeming quality is they are super easy to use - until there's a tangle.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about dead, but quality spincast reels are definitely on life support.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I just bought a ZO2 last year for my redear outfit. It seems to be a great reel but the main reason I bought it was for the super-slow line retrieve that isn't available on most spinning reels.
    That's why I still hang on to a few old Johnson Century's. You don't need a 7:1 gear ratio for jig fishing.

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I bought one of these for my wife. Wish they made an underspin of the same quality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast