Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Landing Nets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing Nets

I had one of the old-style telescoping EGO style nets that I really liked, but a few months ago it decided to take a swim in the lake. So, I purchased one of the new EGO Slider nets that telescopes with the push of a button. I like the concept of the net but have found that it is just too heavy and hard to manage when spiderrigging by myself. I know this subject has been discussed here many times before, but would just like to hear from some of you folks who use a lightweight (preferrably telescoping) net for crappie fishing. What kind? How long? Where did you purchase it? Just trying to figure out what my options are.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be following this with interest myself, I have done exactly what you have. I strongly dislike my newer super heavy EGO. I two pole jig by myself most of the time, and it's really cumbersome for one hand operation. Was considering going back to one like my previous one that took a swim and just attaching some swim noodle to it.

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Get one of the small mesh (16-18" hoop) nets with the handle that is 3' or so. Go to a paint store or Lowes type store and get an aluminum telescoping paint roller handle. Some come up to 5' or so. Merge the two together and you have what you are looking for, a lightweight net with added length when you need it. I feel the rubber netting on the EGO makes them really heavy.

A foot or so of pipe insulation keeps it floating.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Landing Nets

EGO-1 is my favorite crappie net on the market, rubberized mesh, not too heavy, perfect length.
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Get one of the small mesh (16-18" hoop) nets with the handle that is 3' or so. Go to a paint store or Lowes type store and get an aluminum telescoping paint roller handle. Some come up to 5' or so. Merge the two together and you have what you are looking for, a lightweight net with added length when you need it. I feel the rubber netting on the EGO makes them really heavy.

A foot or so of pipe insulation keeps it floating.
    That's a good idea, I just remember when I still used a regular net like your talking about(with regular mesh) how long it could take to free a jig at times. Still an interesting thought though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Go to a paint store or Lowes type store and get an aluminum telescoping paint roller handle. Some come up to 5' or so. Merge the two together and you have what you are looking for,
    I used a telescoping tent pole.

Post Thanks / Like

I used a telescoping frog gig. put some fun noodle on the handle right at the net part in case you drop it in the water. I also noticed that if you just let the net down on the water when netting the fish you can just push it under the fish. The flotation of the fun noodle supports the weight.
    Looks a little rednecky so it works for me.
    Trump is like the guy that comes on the playground and beats up on the guys that's been pushing you around for the last 30 or 40 years.

Post Thanks / Like

The telescoping paint roller handle is a great idea.

Post Thanks / Like

i put styrafoam in the aluminum handle and pack it tight using anything to pack the handle tight...... It floats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Landing Nets

Pm Brm on Ms or Ark boards he sells one thats light and easy to use. On my 3rd ego now will not get another one sick of calling for replacements. Going with one that Big River Marine sells next

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    TOO MANY IDIOTS TO FEW BULLETS