Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? For Spider Riggers

Post Thanks / Like

Default ??? For Spider Riggers

How many of you tightline jigs consistantly? I have tried them but have little confidence in them. I always find myself going back to live bait. Is there a better time of year to use jigs? Trying to build up my confidence in artificials.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I either use jigs with crappie nibbles or jigs tipped with a minnow
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I'm there with ya I've tried and caught fish with jigs,but I am always looking over at that minnow bucket. I DONT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM.

Post Thanks / Like

I almost always long line just jigs. I tight line with minnows. I have done well pushing just jigs also.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use minners spider-riggin, however I have used jigs with a great degree of success. Its my personal opinion here. I think you need to move constantly when pushing jigs in order to keep them stretched out straight on the line and give them the life-like look. When your using live bait you can slow down and even stop if need be. So the live bait is more versatile and I think and thats why we are addicted to it. But as I said I have caught good numbers using jigs also just keep using them and you will gain confidence in them as you learn.

Post Thanks / Like

I primarily use jigs. Even when we've got minnows on board, which is less than half of the time, I just don't use 'em that much.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Post Thanks / Like

The Jigs have their time and place for me. If I can catch em slow, under .5 mph I will use minnows, to get the extra action and scent. My theory is, if a crappie can stare at it, and it ain't dancin, he probly wont bite it. Speeding up .5-1 mph jigs tipped or straight jigs. If I use a jig, I want it to be moving fast enough to look alive (tail twist, skirt move, spinners spin). Everybody has their own theory

Post Thanks / Like

Jigs over brush piles and lay downs is my favorite way to Crappie fish, now that the water is warming they move up abit.
    that's when I leave the minnows home, I use a 9' fly rod with a spinning reel taped to the cork, when Im fishing laydowns,
    For brush piles I drop a marker and cast to it with a small 5' light weight rod, love that thump, after the spawn its slow trolling and nightstalking for me, cork fishing is another very productive way to fill the bucket, so many different ways to Crappie fish. long lining, tight lining, nightstalking, jig tossing, spider rigging, cork fishing, did I miss any. lol

Good Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I like using just jigs. Sometimes they just don't want a minnow. Color seems to play a big role in most of the water I fish. I tightline jigs and longline as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superfly View Post
    I usually use minners spider-riggin, however I have used jigs with a great degree of success. Its my personal opinion here. I think you need to move constantly when pushing jigs in order to keep them stretched out straight on the line and give them the life-like look. When your using live bait you can slow down and even stop if need be. So the live bait is more versatile and I think and thats why we are addicted to it. But as I said I have caught good numbers using jigs also just keep using them and you will gain confidence in them as you learn.
    I use jigs sitting still all the time and I haven't bought a minnow in years, have caught a bunch on Kentucky Lake last few years. I do tip them with Nibbles, and color does matter quite a bit contrary to what some will tell you. It's a confidence thing, they will catch fish no matter what method you use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast