Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Trolling motor problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor problem

I have a Minn Kota Riptide(5 yrs old) that the variable speed quit today. Will run on full speed only no matter where you set the speed control. Took the foot control apart,looks fine. Called the Minn Kota factory and he said it may not be the foot control. Take it to a repair shop. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what was the fix.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with a minn kota a few yrs ago.Mine was the reostat in the foot control needed a good cleaning.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it might be the potentiometer. Problem is, that is made on the main control board. You will probably need to take it to a service center to find out for sure. Let us know what you find out on this problem.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem with mine. Mine is an adjustable speed one and when I went to 2 or 4 it ran on 3. Then it started smoking. Stopped immeditately and looked where the smoke was coming from. Two of the wires under the pedal had been rubbing together and caused a small hole in the cover. It was allowing it to jump across the wires. Put some electrical tape on it and keep a good eye on it the rest of the trip and the next couple of trips. Has worked fine since and that has been over a year and half ago.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Recheck your foot control. This time, using a pair of needle nose plier, try tp move the wires at each solder joint. Over time, the wires get stiff and they will look like they are still connected but are not. This happen to me and the symptoms were that it would only work if I turn the pedal in one direction.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Took it to the only service center in Maine. Control Board is bad. Printed circuit board with an enclosed relay. $190 for the board + labor. Going to think about fixing or buying new. Would like to find a control board out of a junker if I can.

Post Thanks / Like

Maineiac,
    Tell me what the model and serial number of your motor is and I may be able to help you out. I am an authorized service center. If I can save you some money, I will be glad to do it. I can send you the part and you can put it in. It's not very hard to do that. email is [email protected]
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Maineiac::
    If you want to ship the board to me , I can probably repair it at a fraction of the $190.00 qoute..I have replaced the relays on mine a couple of times..Mine has 3 relays on it.. They are less than $10.00 a piece .. If you want to do this, send me a PM , and I'll give you my mailing address..
    Norm