Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freshly painted heads have the pox

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freshly painted heads have the pox

I powdercoated about 50 heads last night and probably half of them are pockmarked like crazy, even after curing. I did a handful last week after I got my fluid bed together with the same batch of powder and didn't have a single one turn out like this. Even multiple dips wouldn't fix it. I used two different batches of heads bought from two different people at two different times. Both batches did it. One of the batches was used for the test samples last week.

Any ideas as to what may be going on here? I'm sure the fish won't care but it looks like garbage.

Post Thanks / Like

show a pic, but sounds like you got some moisture in the paint, and its balling up.

You Can Make a Difference!

Post Thanks / Like

This happened with some freshly opened jars as well. I started out with the fresh ones and went back to the previous jar thinking that the new ones may have issues, but it wasn't the case. All have been stored indoors with the lids tightly closed.

Post Thanks / Like

Heating the jigheads way to hot maybe??

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering if it might be a heat issue. This is my first run at powdercoating.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I think to much heat also. What size jig are you using and what heat source. I use a alcohol burner and the heat times run 1/32 and smaller -1 second, 1/16 -2 seconds, 1/8 - 3 seconds and 1/4 -4 seconds. If painting chartreuse take 1/2 second off the time or you will get to much paint on the heads and it will bubble up.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by STUMP HUNTER View Post
    I think to much heat also. What size jig are you using and what heat source. I use a alcohol burner and the heat times run 1/32 and smaller -1 second, 1/16 -2 seconds, 1/8 - 3 seconds and 1/4 -4 seconds. If painting chartreuse take 1/2 second off the time or you will get to much paint on the heads and it will bubble up.
    Nice to get a time frame, i been heating ALOT longer than that with a cig lighter, and OK results.

You Can Make a Difference!

Post Thanks / Like

jigs may also have oils on them make sure they are clean .......... and dry

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Short grub sounds more like oil to me. Take a couple from one batch clean 2 with alcohol and let dry paint them and 2 more not cleaned and see if will make a difference.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the oil too. I will try to clean some of the next batch that I coat.

I painted 1/16 and 1/8 heads. I averaged 4 to 5 seconds over a heat gun set on low. If I went any less than that, I was only getting a dusting on the head requiring multiple dunks in the powder.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast