Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Rig Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rig Help

I was reading an article about a certain crappie rig utilizing a heavy sinker attached to the end of your line. About 18 inches above the sinker would be about a 6 inch line tied to the main line and another placed about 18 inches above that. These lines would have your hook or jig attached. The article was vague on how these lines were attached to the main line to prevent slipping. I hope I am explaining this right so it makes sense. Can anyone tell me what knot is used to tie these two lines to the main line for this rig? I know the pro Harold Morgan uses this set up and I found an article about it but it still does not explain the knot used to make the connection. Could it be just a simple knot and I am complicating this in my mind?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how they tie it but, I just tie on the 3/4 oz. sinker on the bottom then tie overhand knots leaving about a 6" loop 18" apart. Then slide the loop through hook or jig eye and that completes it.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that the dropper loop would be the best knot to use to prevent having a weak spot in the string.
    here is an animated version of the knot. Hope it helps you.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I looked at the dropper loop. I think I will give it a try.

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

That's how I tie mine and I have never had a problem. I used to have problems with the store bought kind. There is no need to buy a store bought one again using the dropper knot. Lubrication (spit) is very important for this knot.
    My $.02

Post Thanks / Like

Jim,
    This is the Kentucky Rig! or bottom bouncing rig! Bass fishermen now call it Drop Shotting! If you use or make a snelled dropper line (dropper line has a loop on the end that you tie to the main line) you can tie your main line to two overhand knots for each dropper line. This is much easier! Simply slide the looped (snelled) dropper line up your main line approx. 3-4 ft. and tie it to the main line with two overhand knots. I tie the knots opposite of each other. One with the tag end going through the front and the second with the tag end going through the back. Then slide the second or bottom dropper line (snelled) up the main line to desired distance (12-18") from the top dropper line and tie it with two overhand knots. Now tie the bottom weight on the main line with any desired knot at the proper distance (14-22") from the lowest hook. I recomend you take the opportunity to fish with Harold Morgan if you ever get the chance. This is how he taught me. This is exactly how he ties his rigs. Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    I would think that the dropper loop would be the best knot to use to prevent having a weak spot in the string.
    here is an animated version of the knot. Hope it helps you.
    http://www.animatedknots.com/dropper...matedknots.com
    Thank you very much for the lead to the animated knots site.
    Aint this internet a wunnerful thing?
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

You could also use a figure 8 loop knot. Just run your line through the jig/hook and tie it. The one posted above will work too.

http://www.iland.net/~jbritton/KnotP...ts.html#Inline

Also you can use the Surgeon's Loop and you can find it on the same link jlaughlin72 gave you.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 3-way swivel for crappie (live minnow), helps prevent line twists. You can also buy these rigs pre-made but they are a mess to feep in a tackle box. but which ever method you use, make sure the hook is pointing up.

fishinRod
    I can only wish to be as good as my dog thinks I am

Post Thanks / Like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast