Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: in line boards

Post Thanks / Like

Default in line boards

There is an interesting thread going on Walleye Central in the message board (stricktly fishing) about using in line boards to caught crappie. Go take a look maybe some new ideas. I have never thought of it but will give it a shot next time out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firetechh
    There is an interesting thread going on Walleye Central in the message board (stricktly fishing) about using in line boards to caught crappie. Go take a look maybe some new ideas. I have never thought of it but will give it a shot next time out.
    I'm the one that started that, joined WC just to try to learn about in-line boards. I live in MS and had never seen a board before I ordered a couple of small Church boards. (TX-6) Still don't know much about them except I sure am having a hard time telling when I get bite. Think I may need a larger board with tattle flags. If you have any tips pass them on as I know nothing.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

steve the boards are great I walleye fish alot with them. I also tournemt fish( FLW Michigan Leauge ). My preferd brand is the offshore boards with the tattle tail kits,you can set them to various tenstions to indicate a bite or weeds fouling your line.It is easy to see a change in the flag postion. I have caught perch and gills many times and not missed the bite. Just watch the flag if it slowly settles you may have a weed or a fish that just grabbed the bait and is following in either case pick up the rod and gently sweep the board foward. They are easy to use. I run a 8ft 6in rod to handle the boards, dont spend a ton of money on the rods I also use line counter reels to repeat my setups. Buy all the same stuff (match your equipment) it is eastier to READ the boards if they all respond the same way. If you are runnig the TX-6s one per side you have no reference to another point when I run boards with no flag kit I find it easier if there are two per side out , you can see one drift back from the other again MACTHED EQUIPMENT will also help . I hope this helps, if you need more info I"ll do my best to answer your questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, wish I knew enough to ask the right questions. I think beside reading the boards my biggest problem is finding the right place to pull. I bought matching Ugly Sticks that I am using to put the boards but I have been running 1 board and 1 flatline off each side, I also have to troll with my TM as my gas motor is an old 115 Merc. I may have to break down and get some boards with flags. Yesterday morning I went out for about 2 1/2 hrs and did what I know best, jigpoling with jigs tipped with nibbles and caught 14 with 3 at a lb or very close which are good crappie for my lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve I also troll with my electric as I have yet to get my kicker. But it's easy to stay in the 1-1.5mph. What do you mean 'finding the right place to pull". The boards can be run any distance from the boat you want. When trolling on the big water we will run boards out 75-100ft on the far one and 50-75 on the inside. Next will be how to do the board shuffle when there is a fish on the out board I reel the inside board in and put the board in the splashwell and leave the line out. But when using the electric I dont run them out as far no noise from the gas motor. Keep trying it will work

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a small 3500 acre lake with a max depth of say 40' deep in the creek by the dam, It seems most of the fish are on stumps along the creek which are hard to troll due to hang-ups. So far I have been unable to set a pattern on fish away from the creek. Here today gone tomorrow, like where I had been catching some fish for the last month the last 2 times there no fish. I'm still going to keep at it some but may wait until it cools some more when I can stay out longer.