Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice On Using Floats N How To Set Up???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Advice On Using Floats N How To Set Up???

I have always had problems with hooking fish using floats, esp reg ol clip bobbers and even slip floats. what im looking for is some advice on using them, i would like to learn how to set up the waggle style flaots or any others. im looking to detect light bite like with crappies on the up bite that just takes the tension off the line and setting up both way for waggle and the one that use the little plastic sleeves on a straight float.( i dont know what they are called). i was hoping you guys could post some pic up or whatever so i can see how you rig them and what kinds to use in what situations. mostly it will be live bait fishing crappie n gills, and also using them when fishing a jig from the bank. thanks!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll defer to Deathb4disco on the "waggler" style float info ... and/or Shipahoy41 !! In the meantime, check the sticky thread at the top of this page ("knots & rigs .... ") for pics & diagrams.

Both of them boys can get you going on the use of various style floats !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

This topic is extensive as there are so many ways to use a float. So I will tell you about 1 way I use and let other folks add.
    Look for the smallest clip on round float you can find. They are usually no more then 1/2 inch in dia. Use a long rod 6ft or longer with light line 4-6 pound test. The longer rod will help in casting a locked down float. Lock the bobber down using the bottom and top clips of the bobber. Set the depth at the depth you want to fish or can safely cast. Normally not more then 4 ft deep with a 6ft pole You can use just a hook or a very small jig. An ice fishing jig works well with this setup. Use bait of choice. Cast to wards shoreline objects and let it set to let the bait fall. Pop the bobber back towards you a few times and let stop for a second. Repeat untill you have reeled it all the way in. The rest time depends on how well the fish are biting. You maintain contact with the bobber at all times this way. This works real well for pan fish after ice out as they are still sluggish and wont chase fast after a bait. Remember that the bobber will not hold much weight up so go light. These small bobbers also seem to collect water when you do this you may have to blow them out. I keep a spare one to change out. I sometime keep one of these in the water next to the boat with a minnow on it no weight. Hooked through the mouth the minnow swims freely. Hooked through the tail and the minnow will sink more from the weight of the hook. Very natural presentation.
    Hope this helps and good fishing to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are two videos on the waggler. Both are done by Englishmen, so let me know if you need a translation.

A "quick and dirty guide" to the waggler:

Post Thanks / Like

A much more detailed video:

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts guys. With all floats do you set it up so just the top is out of the water?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking Wales off my list of places to fish!
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

the further you are from the float at hookset, the harder its gonna be to get the hook set. Your float acts like buffer between your hook. If your really wingin the bait out from you, your really gonna hafta step up your hook set.
    Using the smallest possible float will help, using low strech line helps alot. Using a longer rod helps. Reeling up slack before hook set sounds elementry, but is crucial at a distance.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the waggler style quite a bit. I prefer the Thill Gold Medal Supremes for depths up to around 5'.

Thill™ Gold Medal Supreme Fishing Floats

They are fixed floats with a hook base and rubber sleeve. You can also buy the older slip style with the little hole in the bottom for deeper water. I just prefer the simplicity of a fixed float for shallow water. You don't have to worry about bobber stops or retying. The old style floats do come with a sleeve for fixed rigging, but I don't trust it since one bad cast and it may fly right off.

Notice how the floats are painted. Red tip, yellow section, then a black line and a red section. Normally you add enough weight so the water level sits at the black line. That gives you a good inch or two of float above the surface. Makes it easier to see at a distance. If the fish are being really picky and the water is fairly calm, you can weight it so only the red tip is above the surface.

The thing about fishing with jigs is normally the fish will only hold onto the bait for a second or two, so you MUST control the slack and pay attention. If the wind starts to put a belly in your line, reel up the slack. If the float goes under, set the hook. If the float pops up, set the hook. If the float does anything you can't immediately rule as wind or wave action, set the hook. Sometimes you will get lucky and the fish will hook himself, but it's not something I would count on. They are that fast and will inhale and spit the jig faster than you could believe. I have gotten a bite while blinking and missed the fish.

Crappie don't require jawbreaking hooksets, so as long as you're watching the float and don't have yards of slack out you should be able to stick them as long as you're fast enough.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-14-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    Don't worry, catch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try these hooks with your floats.

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast