Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trolling motor selection

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling motor selection

Hey guys. Yall don't hear from me much on the main forum I hide out on the Louisiana board. I am posting this to get some ideas from you guys before I purchase a new trolling motor. I figure here on the main board I can get more opinions.

I am thinking about upgrading my 12-volt to a 24-volt system and take my thrust from 54 to 72. Don't tell her I said it but my boat is heavy!

I get out in some wind or current and I think I need a beefier trolling motor. I was thinking about going digital for the autopilot but I also like the foot control for certain applications. Autopilot or remote control would be awesome for long line trolling or open water drifting. But I start working around some trees/bridges/rocks I want to weave in and around them with the foot control. And through all this I am looking for something that will have some nice thrust to move upwind/current and also last long enough to not have to bring backup batteries. With my 12-volt system I am constantly replacing the battery 1/2 way through the day.

What motor do yall think best fits what I am looking for?

Thanks for any help,

~Fishin' Magician~

Post Thanks / Like

Minnkota has a totally new line up for next year.New design on the foot pedal, built in co-pilot.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Whatever you buy get variable speed

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota Variable speed to start. What model is up to you and that depends on what features you want.

I like the Maxxum!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Minn Kota w/ auto pilot without a doubt!!
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Minn-Kota absolutley has the best trolling motor on the market. And the best of the best with a foot control is the Maxxum-Pro. For long line trolling the Auto Pilot would be the best.
    My 0.02 cents worth.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

FM,to have the best of both worlds you might think about a foot control with a control added to make the TM lock in a fixed position on a constant speed. I built such a device on my TM after seeing what some other fellows had made to make their hand control out of a foot operated TM. That may sound a bit confusing, so if I can figure out how to take a pic and post it I will and if not you are more than welcome to come and see mine anytime 929-0290
    honey.'':o the weather is to bad to work in the yard so I think I'll go fishing''

Post Thanks / Like

I got the new wireless from Motorguide this year. It is a 24 volt - 75 pounds of thrust.

http://www.motorguide.com/index.pl/wireless_series2

It will keep my 22 foot pontoon going 3 mph even in the wind. However, if battery life is what you are looking for, I don't believe the 24 volts last twice as long as the 12 volt systems, a little longer maybe, but the big benefit is more power.

The wireless feature sure is nice though.

Post Thanks / Like

Minnkota autopilot, second to none!
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. Got the wheels turning for me know. Can yall describe a little in detail about the use of the auto pilot. Like how exactly you control it and in what applications you have used it?

Also seems like a majority prefer Minn-Kota... is that solely for the auto-pilot feature or do you have others reasons you prefer that brand?

Thanks again,

~Fishin' Magician~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast