Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Will heavier line help?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will heavier line help?

So I tried spidder rigging for the first time this past weekend. My rigs had a jig on the bottom with eggsinker a little above that tied to a 3 way swivel. At the swivel I had a shorter line coming out with a jig that kept getting wrapped around the main line. These rigs were only 4 lb line. If I increase the poundage of the line will it help to keep the top line from wrapping around the main line?

Post Thanks / Like

I use 10lb on my double rigs. Not sure of the clarity of the water where you fish, but down here stained is about as clear as I fish. May try 6-8lb clear line if in clearer water. Buy yes, the larger diameter the line, the more seperation it seems to provide since it is stiffer.

Post Thanks / Like

The line coming from the swivel should be a stiffer and heavier line. I on the other hand just tie loop knots and leave swivels alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Will heavier line help?

Use heavier line, 8-10lb and ditch the swivel. Just tie a hook with a loop knot to the main line leaving a long tag. Wrap an egg sinker onto the line several times to hold it in place below the top hook, and then tie a hook to the end of you tag line about 18" below the weight. It will eliminate the problem your having and a lot quicker to rig if you break off.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    Use heavier line, 8-10lb and ditch the swivel. Just tie a hook with a loop knot to the main line leaving a long tag. Wrap an egg sinker onto the line several times to hold it in place below the top hook, and then tie a hook to the end of you tag line about 18" below the weight. It will eliminate the problem your having and a lot quicker to rig if you break off.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went to 12 lb leader line for the stiffness. A Copolimer line will be stiffer than regular line in the same lb test. If you want to use a swivel use a straight # 10, run the tag end through pulling out about a foot of line. Tie a Clinch knot not the improved clinch. Trim tag down to length you want then cut main line to length you want and like G said wrap through egg sinker 4/5 times then tie jig or hook on with loop knot.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979