Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taneycomo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taneycomo

Headed down Friday to fish Tablerock & Taneycomo.....got some good info. from Kitpapermouth on Tablerock but was hoping to get some advice on the trout fishing on Taney......is drifting the best or casting to the bank better? What's the best baits this time of year and do you use a bobber w/jig? Thanks in advance and howdy from the Kansas board.
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of regs for different areas down at Taneycomo, so check there when you get there. One set of regs for the trophy area....no live bait, maybe no soft plastics....slot regs. And I'm not sure where the trophy area ends, and regular fishing area begins. When there is current running, it seems like a lot of people run up into the trophy area and then drift down.

Post Thanks / Like

If you need a place to stay I would look up www.Lilleyslanding.com. They are a top notch facility on Taneycomo. Phil Lilley writes the fishing report for Taneycomo. He will be able to help you out.
    We would not stay at any other place,we love it there.

jigin4abigun

Post Thanks / Like

Fall Creek is the cut off line for the live bait and soft plastics. Anything above fall creek, is artificial only, power bait, etc. not allowed. We used to drift with power bait on drift rigs with the kids. They would have a blast. Usually make a trip down every year. Last year they were not running much water so the fishing was tough. We've went all the way to the dam from Lilleys and drifted with spoons and that was effective as well.

If you run your boat past Fall Creek be very careful. It gets hairy real quick! Seen a lot of props tore up! Good luck, and I also would recommend Lilleys Landing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have fished tanny many times. When I'm Fishing up by the dam in the trophy area I use a rapala cd3 which is count down 1 1/2 in brown trout patern on 4lb floro line.Fishing is good when the water is running.The wife caught a 8lb. rainbow last year using it. I also use little cleo. You can use crank baits sppons and flies and jigs but only hair jigs no rubber. There is also a size restriction up there might want to check. Good drift fishing below the trophy trout area. Depending on water flow I will go with a three way swivel 1/4 to 1/2 oz.bell sinker about 18inches below then 7inch leader #8 gold hook short shank and your favorite bait. I hope that helped you somewhat GOOD FISHING

Post Thanks / Like

Below the dam, with spinning gear follow cookieman's lead. I caught a couple with jigs drifting as well. When using a bobber, I tie a large drop fly (size 10 or 12) off the jig. They come up to look at the jig and nail the fly.

If using a flyrod which is my perferred method, I use a size 14 sowbug or scud with a drop fly usually a size 16 or 18 sowbug or scud. Usaully light tan, hare's ear, or gray colors work best. I tie the drop fly directly to the bend of the larger fly on about an 8-12 inch leader. Always #3 Maximum They will usaully hit the smaller fly. I also have good luck on Zebra midges, cracklebacks, hare ears, and copper johns. I tye all my fly's so they are not as pretty as store bought ones but very effective.

In the bait zone, I've done real well on Salmon and Corn flavored powerbait. Nightcrawlers work well also especially for browns. I like to get away from the crowd when bait fishing from the boat and focus on the landing downstream a mile or so below Branson. You don't have the boat hatch there like you have up by the resorts. Around the island just above hwy 65 bridge is really good as well.

Have fun and good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the help, now I have NO excuses for not catching some fish........C.COMERS are the best!
    FAITH, FAMILY, FRIENDS & FISHING...... hopefully in that order but honestly, not always!

Post Thanks / Like

Drifting rainbow powerbait or air injected crawlers from fall creek down to Monkey Island always works if you want some eaters. My favorite technique is to fish a 1/8oz jig on a 6-7' light or medium-light fast action slinni g tod with 4# test. You can look Lilley up on youtube to see how he fishes the jigs. White, olive, sculpin, and black are always good colors.

For powerbait I always drift down the middle and for jigs I tish the bluff bank side of the river.

Post Thanks / Like

Just at the "line" (big floats and cable) above Powersite Dam in Forsyth. Use whole kernel corn and/or red salmon eggs, or a combo of them, and drift, or anchor and tightline 'em at the "line". *Fished last year right in front of Branson Landing, drift-fishing, and caught a few, but they were good ones-13 to 14 inches. The locals said use Berkley (SP?) FLOATING power bait in orange or red, using it with a small sinker 12 to 15 inch above a #14 or #12 small treble hook and the power bait rolled onto the treble in a pear or a ball shape. Also use a small hook, a #6-8-#10 single, baitholder hook, tied on at the bottom then have a small sinker 12 to 15" above it and hook a worm that has been injected with air on that rig and drift it or tightline or with a float and you would have to see the fow they are in and that can be done with a little experimenting. Right in front of Branson Landing is a place where it is fairly noisy so if quiet is your thing, don't fish there but if kids or wife along, or noise don't bother you, then they/you will/may love the fireworks and the scheduled "big bangs", and the shooting water fountains and also the River Queen Boat, ( BIG boat) is there ,so be careful, but it goes real slow, and also *they do stock several fish there for the tourists,,... so keep that in mind. Good luck! Most of the resorts and cabin rentals are booked up so better call as soon as you can for reservations if you already haven't done that. We stayed at Blue Haven resort right down the lake 1/2 mile from Branson Landing but ACROSS/on the lake there, which is fairly narrow at that place on the lake,... $70 bucks/day and they have covered boat slips ($7.00/day?+/-), and also their own ramp. Lillies (SP?) Landing is *real good, but you may be too late for a cabin there. Good luck and good fishing! Let me/us know how you do, OK. oh 2lb, or *4lb line!

Post Thanks / Like

Be carefull ancoring your boat most wiill tell you not to because when the water is folwing fast it will pull your boat under.because the water comes up fast. I'm just saying be carefull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast