Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 1st time out

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st time out

Well finally got to put the boat in the water this weekend. But not without problems. My tilt and trim stopped working. The motor will hum but not lift the engine. It will lift it with assistance and hold it up in place. I am pretty sure it had a leak at the top seal but we got that fixed and put in new fluid but still will not go up on its own. I know I am looking at at least $1000 for repair so I will probably stay that way. Also the boat does take on some water so I am going to have to remedy that before long if I want to keep it in the boat slip.

Didn't really get to do much with the boat as it was late sunday evening when we finally was able to get it in the water. Once we got it in man that thing will scoot along for a 50 horse. I was very impressed.

Any suggestions on how to seal up an aluminum boat without breaking the bank?

Thanks

Glen

Post Thanks / Like

Default leaks

If it's here you can get to it, go to wally world, get a package of hot glue sticks and one of those little propane torches. Melt the glue into the holes real good. Get the glue hot enough to bubble and it will stick. OOps forgot to say you need the place to be patched good and clean. grizzly
    Most people call them green onions, but they are really ---------?????

Post Thanks / Like

glenc you may have a little air in the line raise and lower it a few times with the help of your hands then remove the filler cap see if you can add any more fluid or check to make sure it does'nt have water mixed with it

Post Thanks / Like

I have plenty of suggestions on how to seal up an aluminum boat, but I need to know exactly what is leaking? Is it a rivet, a crack, or otherwise?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieLips
    glenc you may have a little air in the line raise and lower it a few times with the help of your hands then remove the filler cap see if you can add any more fluid or check to make sure it does'nt have water mixed with it

We did all that before we put it back together. The resivour (sp) and the unit period can not be reached without unpinning the motor and lifting it completley up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Smith
    I have plenty of suggestions on how to seal up an aluminum boat, but I need to know exactly what is leaking? Is it a rivet, a crack, or otherwise?
    I think its leaking at the rivets. Mainly the center seam of the boat. When I brought the boat home from the previous owner (he had it out on the lake the day I bought it) I saw water leaking from the center seam at the front of the boat. The guy I bought it from did tell me it leaked. Its just seems a little more than I thought. After about 2 hours in the water I would guess there is about an inch of watter at the back of the boat. The boat has been in the slip since Sunday evening and its staying at the leval so I guess the auto bilge pump is working....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Leaking Boat

Hello Glenn, I have had a lot of success using JB Weld to repair leaks . If it is where you can get to it. I promise you it will fix it and you can forget about it! Clean the area real good with sand paper before you apply the JB Weld. You can find it in most auto parts stores. Good Fishing, Jimmy S.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy is right but sometimes the jb weld batch is bad if it don't work the 1st time do it again.