Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spidder rigging rod control

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spidder rigging rod control

Hi,
    I am pretty new to spider rigging and need some advice. I am using mostly 10' and 12' rods and am having a heck of a time with keeping them organized while in the boat.

First off, before I leave home I rig all of rods with the hooks and sinkers in place but I have to break them down for transport to and from the lake. I have been using pipe cleaners to wrap around the two rod pieces to keep them together but I am having a hard time keeping the hooks and sinkers under control while en route to the lake. By the time I get to the lake some of the hooks and sinkers have intertwined with another rods rigging and it takes me longer than I would like to get the rods untangled and ready to go.

Also, while on the lake I have problems when I pull all of my rods in to move to another spot. I have vertical rod racks in my boat so I have room to store the rods but again I have problems with the hooks and sinkers tangling. Running down the lake with 16 hooks swinging around the rods means that some day something bad is gonna happen.

I know there must be a good way to control my tackle so I am depending on some of you, with more experience than me, to give me some guidance.

Thanks to all who offer suggestions.

ccm

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ccm .. consider this : slip on rod covers.

There may be a problem, though, and that would be finding some long enough to cover your poles, at least down to the point where the hook/sinker rigs are covered. I'm not sure whether anyone makes one long enough, though, as I've only seen them for rods of a max length of ~ 8ft.
    I guess you "could" get someone to custom make you some longer ones. And you can get an idea of what they look like & what materials are used, by searching for "rod socks", "rod sleeve", "rod skin", "rod jacket", "rod cover", etc.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a set of rod transporters that mount on the boat. I use 12 and 14 foot rods with no trouble. Just take the rod and wind the line around it and put it in the transporters and secure them with the straps and your good to go. Best 40 bucks I ever spent.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superfly View Post
    I bought a set of rod transporters that mount on the boat. I use 12 and 14 foot rods with no trouble. Just take the rod and wind the line around it and put it in the transporters and secure them with the straps and your good to go. Best 40 bucks I ever spent.
    Fly ... I was going to suggest that, also ... but refrained from doing so because he already has vertical rod racks mounted in his boat, and I didn't know if he'd be interested in the horizontal version (either as an addition, or a replacement).

I could have also suggested that he pre-rig a bunch of his hook/sinker rigs, and wrap them around a section of "swim noodle" ... and attach a clip or swivel to the tag end of his pole's main line. This would eliminate the "flying hooks" scenario, and the tangles that occur ... but, would require a more time consuming scenario between fishing spots. That's when the "rod sock" idea came to me.
    Another reason was :
    I don't have any rods longer than 10' ... and do transport my rods in the boat's rod locker, from home to lake to home. They are still subject to tangles, even without multiple hooks/baits on each rod. One of my fishing partners gave me some BPS Rod Socks, for Christmas, and should eliminate some of "my" tangle issues. I was thinking that something similar might be an alternative for CCM.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I run bottom weight rigs and 2 hooks above, two hooks above are hooked together, hook the swivel for the weight in the hook keeper on the rod and reel up the slack. once the slack is out catch the line about the second eye and spin the rod wapping the line around the rod and securing the main line on the second eye. Once I get ready to put em out cach the line at the second eye again releasing it and unwind. Using Capps and Coleman igs I have seen alot of folks use a small hair clip to hold the upper hook.
    1990 Stratos 285 Pro 200 HP Merc
    SpyderLok Rod Holders
    Proud Member of Team Watch The Finger!!!
    (662) 458-8925

Post Thanks / Like

I usually run a two jig/hook setup with weight in between and store transport rods with ease...try this:

Let out enough line to wrap the bottom jig/hook around reel handle and back up to top jig/hook. Reel up line semi tight but not bending rod tip. Next grab the line about half way up the rod and twist it around rod a couple of times until snug and hook it over a rod eye.

I haul 10-12 12 foot rods with me all the time and they never tangle at all. Sure beats any other method I've tried. Not sure if u can adapt this method for breaking down the rods unless you can use an eye on the rod to go around. But it leaves no swinging weights or hooks in either a horizontal or vertical pole holder.

Post Thanks / Like

If your boat is long enough,I just strap my 14s on the deck in one piece. I use a rod saver in the back by the reels and up front I have one of those velcro cable ties like they use for computers or stereo wires mounted on the floor up front and just bundle the tips together. I got a 175 tracker and keep 6 14s on the deck. Instead of pipe cleaners try the elastic Pony Tail holders.

MEMBER CRAPPIE MAFIA

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the word from a Pro.

Ronnie Capps: Pro Tips Wg - YouTube

I use two jigs without addition weight sometime. I run my line behind the reel and hook both hooks together and wrape loose line around pole as shown in video. Can use 3/4" velcro strips to hold two sections of poles together, can also use to hod jig or hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

When I rig my trolling poles I use a three way swivel on the end of the main line. While I was at home with nothing else to do [yea right], I tyed up a bunch of drop lines with the jigs and weights.I tyed them with the jig on one end and a snap swivel on the other. That way when I got to the lake all I had to do was snap the drops onto the three way swivel and start fishing. I wrapped the drop lines around short pieces of pool noodles as I made them up. The hook and open snap swivel will stick in the noodle. When I move from place to place I just take the top drop line off, put it back on the noodle, hook to bottom hook in the eyelet of the pole and away I go. I know some folks don't like using much hardware on their setups, but it works great for me. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spidder rigging rod control

Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I usually run a two jig/hook setup with weight in between and store transport rods with ease...try this:

Let out enough line to wrap the bottom jig/hook around reel handle and back up to top jig/hook. Reel up line semi tight but not bending rod tip. Next grab the line about half way up the rod and twist it around rod a couple of times until snug and hook it over a rod eye.

I haul 10-12 12 foot rods with me all the time and they never tangle at all. Sure beats any other method I've tried. Not sure if u can adapt this method for breaking down the rods unless you can use an eye on the rod to go around. But it leaves no swinging weights or hooks in either a horizontal or vertical pole holder.
    Yep, I pile 12 14's with this method, same as Ronnie's
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast