Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Rock & Yamaha Trim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Table Rock & Yamaha Trim

Ran Cranks Sat. Morning just North of Cape fair along Youngs bluff. Only caught one Crappie and a few Kentucky.

Item #1: Trim motor quit working. Getting voltage and amps. Put manual switch on it and nothing. Motor is burnt up. Hope to have the part in this week so I can be back in commision by Saturday.

Item #2: Upon investigation of the eletrical system, my main hub where the hot wire comes up from the battery is 25% gone. Wing nut will only hold in one position because of the loss of threads. Hope that rod is screwed into the solonoid so it'll be a cheap fix.

Expensive Day on the water. I'm wondering if I should have restored this Yamaha Katrina victim.

Boat: Definition: A hole in the water you throw money into.

Good thing Crappie fishing is worth the expense. At least in my eyes it is.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Kit, you are so right about a boat being something that you just throw money at. Hope you get fixed, nothing worse than not being able to get on the water.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I called Hydro Tec (Nixa Mo.) to get a bead on the cost. They made a statement that the motor itself cannot be replaced without pulling the trim off the boat and rebuilding the unit. I can see the motor and the four bolts holding it on. They quoted $1700.00 to fix.
    I think this is a case of take advantage of the uneducated customer. Online I found aftermarket motors for $138 & $152. I'm going to call them on the carpet and see if they have the wrong trim spec'd out or if they can actually justify this cost. Maybe I'll get some back pedaling.

Anyone know someone that works on Yamaha Motors that is trustworthy and could shed some light on this?

I'm going to call a couple other places and see what's up.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Just as I figured, Hydro back pedaled by stating Yamaha doesn't sell the motor separately so the whole unit would have to be rebuilt. I called a couple other places and found this to be false.

I put the volt meter on the pump wire junctions and I'm getting full voltage, so I pulled the wires to the pump and touched them to the battery. Nothing happened. I'll be ordering a pump online today.

Just goes to show you need to get three estimates to keep some places in check.

Buyer be ware.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

They quoted $1700.00 to fix.

And they wonder why people don't trust a mechanic!

john
    Chuck the aggrivating stuff.......... Just go Fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

mdunc. That dtrim unit will work for you. You're motor should bolt up to it.

I'm running 115 hp Yamahammer. It weights 400 lbs.

You should be able to man handle your 40 hp motor with a couple a guys to slip it on. I recommend shopping around on the net for one of those units. Get the model number and type it into Google and see what pops up.

I'll give Hydrotec another chance next time I need the engine diagnosed. They did a good job for me the first time around with the fuel injector issue. I've expressed my disappointment with the service rep. from this last go around.

We'll see how it goes next time.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

After this past weekend, I have lost all faith in repair shops.

I took mine last week to get a new waterpump installed. Picked it up Friday, fished Saturday. As it was sitting on the trailer at camp, we noticed a spot on the back on the transom. Looking at and picking at it, they had busted the gelcoat and filled it back in with white silicone. Which the boat is white, needless to say I was pretty hot for 2 day till I went back to the shop last night after work. The guy oh yes I backed into the water tank, I was going to tell you but I was gone friday when you came to pick it up. He never wrote nothing on the ticket so my thought was he was hoping that I had never had seen it. But its going to the shop next week to fixed. My first and last time using or buying anything from them.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

HEY easy on the Mechanic stuff.Not all of us are crooks..
    I would just as soon starve as to sell someone something they didnt need.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like anything, it's the greedy individuals that give the rest of people in their profession a bad name.

These individuals must not be crappie fishermen.

How's the old lawyer joke go??
    It's the good lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

it's just such a huge trust issue with any mechanic. most folks (myself included) just don't know that much about the really intricate stuff in there and due to the current state of the world, trusting people to not screw you is a stretch. in a similar fashion, i can walk through almost every nursery and pick out half of their trees (selling for around 200-250 dollars) that will be dead in 5 years. a good nurseryman knows this as well, but they will still sell them because the warranty only lasts 1 year. it's just really hard to trust strangers when money is involved.
    "We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect"
    -Aldo Leopold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast