Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leftover minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leftover minnows

You come back in with a couple dozen minnows left and won't be going out to soon again. Does anybody grind up the leftovers to make a sauce and if so do you add anything to it?

THE BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN IT'S RAINING AND WHEN IT'S NOT RAINING

Post Thanks / Like

I dumped them out or gave them to someone else. But at $3.30 a bag, lightning struck my brain and now i freeze them until the next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

oh yeah! a lil catchup n mustard with dill! lol or do you mean bait sauce? i usually toss them in my bait tank, in a minnow bucket(to protect them from the bigger baits already in there).

as far as bait sauce. i used to use veg oil as a vehicle for the sent to travel on without getting diluted. a lil salt too.

Post Thanks / Like

When I had chickens I fed em to them, they loved em and would fight over them. Now i give em away at the ramp.

Post Thanks / Like

minnow sauce?

Hmmm freezing that stuff into a block, then hang from boat?

hmmmm not a bad idea

sure beats bringing them home and feeding them to the cats

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after".
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leftover minnows

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    When I had chickens I fed em to them, they loved em and would fight over them. Now i give em away at the ramp.
    Yes, vicious creatures they are.
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig

Post Thanks / Like

go to walmart and buy an aquarium air pump and a WOODEN AIR STONE( the wooden stone makes finer bubbles and i think helps dissapte the ammonia and nitrats better, the blue will work though).

Before leaving the ramp or fishin' hole, grab a extra bucket of water. When you get home, dump the left over minners in there and toss in the air stone/pump. I keep mine in a dark garage, dont know if it matter on that part. I see the OP is in JAX, I would use a cooler to keep the temp steady, or atleast to keep it from heating up alot in the day time.

Ive got a cooler full ( 12+ dozen that Ive been nursing along for 3 months now, shoot, Ive even named most of them(kidding).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leftover minnows

Quote Originally Posted by Clear Solution View Post
    go to walmart and buy an aquarium air pump and a WOODEN AIR STONE( the wooden stone makes finer bubbles and i think helps dissapte the ammonia and nitrats better, the blue will work though).

Before leaving the ramp or fishin' hole, grab a extra bucket of water. When you get home, dump the left over minners in there and toss in the air stone/pump. I keep mine in a dark garage, dont know if it matter on that part. I see the OP is in JAX, I would use a cooler to keep the temp steady, or atleast to keep it from heating up alot in the day time.

Ive got a cooler full ( 12+ dozen that Ive been nursing along for 3 months now, shoot, Ive even named most of them(kidding).
    I used to use the blue one all the time..
    In a big cooler, I also got some "blue stuff" from the bait store.
    Feed them daily with tropical fish food flakes.
    Save A Minnow, Use A Jig

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like facts to me... No need for opinions.

In a big cooler, I also got some "blue stuff" from the bait store.
    Feed them daily with tropical fish food flakes.
    Just teasing, can't help myself .
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

If you have an extra fridge, put them in a 5 gallon bucket full of fresh well water with a lid with holes or opening for air and they will stay alive for days, you can change the water out every few days. In the summer I use a big chest freezer with lid off with pond pump for aeration with filter and timer to keep water cool/. I put a couple pounds or anout 80 dozen minnows in this box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast