Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod holders

I'm trying to rig my boat to spider rig and troll. I have a center console boat. With rails on front. Not sure yet if I want to mount to the rails or a stand type.

Anyone got any old ones they want to get rid of CHEAP LOL. My wife is tight with the money. But I understand because I been out of work with a bulging disc since Nov.

So whatever I do I have to make it myself. And cost effected as I can.

God bless to all and thank you for your time.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

THE DRIFTMASTERS ARE WHAT I HAVE AND LIKE THEM JUST FINE . THERE ARE SOME THAT PEOPLE RAVE ABOUT SUCH AS HI-TEC,SPYDER LOC,WALLY MARSHALL,TITE LOC, ECT . I TO AM HOPING TO FIND SOME MORE AS THEY BECOME THE DINASOUR OF SPIDER RIGGING . THE JONES 'S DON'T LIVE NEXT TO ME SO I DON'T HAVE TO KEEP UP . JMO.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If money is tight find out what outside diameter is of rail. Go to home depot or Lowes find a clamp they sell for pipe and for the life of me can't remember what they are called but they will have a threaded hole in one side like a 5/16. If you can find some that fit your rail then get some 6in PVC use a hole saw about 2 in and drill 2 holes across from each other then cut the section off end of PVC making it about 3 in wide. Then cut it in half leaving one hole complete and the other cut in half. Sit it on the clamp and mark where holder would be level. Drill a hole just big enough for the size bolt that will fit threaded hole. Then take a bit and grove out from that hole about an inch or so on either side to make it adjustable up and down. Use a short bolt and flat washer to mount. Use a round file or sand paper to round off sharp edges and you got a rod holder. Sounds complicated in print but pretty easy if you have a few had tools.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Split ring hangers. I made my own using galvanized pipe. 1/2" floor/wall flange. 12" x 1/2" riser. 1/2" tee on that bull headed. 2) 12" x 1/2" pipe on both sides of tee. Mount the flanges to your boat, screw in the "T" you made with the 3 pieces of pipe and you're good to go. If you use the split ring hangers, get the ones that have 2 screws on both sides, not the ones with the hinge. They break when locking down on the pipe. I reinforced mine by adding wingnuts to the screws. Solid as a rock. You can also put a flange on both sides of your boat, add risers of desired length. Put an elbow on each riser and take a measurement between the 2 elbows and connect them with a union. Great for longlining out the back of the boat! I'm a pipefitter so it was easy for me to make that kind.
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gabepeeps View Post
    Split ring hangers. .
    You might look on ebay for Split ring hangers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the info. I'm sure I can figure something out with the ideas yall have given me. Thx again.

Oh yeah what's a good holders to get? I know I can adjust a little bit. Just want to be able to lift my rods out of the holder easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Check ebay
    Fishing is like pizza.......Even when it's not that good, it's still pretty good!
    Member of Lanier Crappie Anglers.com or net

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  boat 022.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  48.4 KBI did not make these I bought them but after I looked at them it looked easy to make so I made one 8ft wide with rod holders all the way across it for the back of my boat for pulling cranks or jigs.Its 1/2"pipe and 7/16"cold rolled rod that slides into the pipe and then 1/4"cold rolled rod for the holders bent them myself then welded them on. This whole thing only cost me about 20 bucks.