Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: berkley maggots?

Post Thanks / Like

Default berkley maggots?

boarders,

i bought some of these to see if i'd have luck w/ bream. i have had no luck.

anyone used these?

thoughts?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default maggots

I've got some, but haven't give them a good try yet. I think the real thing wouldbe best I've caught bream on them when they wouldn't bite anything else. I had an uncle that raised maggots and swore by them for crappie fishing. He said a jig tipped witha maggot would catch twice as many as one without. grizzly
    Most people call them green onions, but they are really ---------?????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly
    I had an uncle that raised maggots and swore by them for crappie fishing. He said a jig tipped witha maggot would catch twice as many as one without.
    your uncle is a smart man. maggots work great for tipping jigs. never used berkley maggots very much. stick with the real thing or crappie nibbles.
    fishing isn't a sport, it's a way of life.
    a motto i live by :D
    go dawgs!!

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've tried them numerous times. They just dont work for me. An example. I found some bedding gills and was slammin em with waxworms. Thought i'd give the maggots a try since i had the fish all fired up. Put the white one on and got a fish on the first cast. Threw back out and nothing would touch it. Put on a fresh one. Still nothing. Put a pink one on. Nothing. Went back to the waxworm and started hammerin again. I've tried them a few times since then with the same results. I put them away and i'm gonna try them icefishing this winter. Now the honeyworm , thats a diffrent story.

Post Thanks / Like

Go get the Berkley earthworms pinch off small piece to cover barb. very good.
    not sure why fish don't like the maggots.

Post Thanks / Like

The fake worms do okay, but not as good as the real deal. The maggots are a waste of money. I'd rather buy my waxies and mealworms from Grubco and know the fish will eat them if they're in an eatin' mood. - Roberta.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

When the bluegill were on, in the early spring, the berkley maggots were especially good. They are so sturdy we would catch a few dozen on each one before needing to replace. However, later in the season, they have not worked so well. My favorite Berkley product are the honey worms. They'll bite them just as aggressively as the nibbles but with the worms they will stay on longer and you will get a lot more hook sets. Seems like when summer temps really hit the best bait has been salted shrimp. Guess they can tell the real deal better when the water is warmer.