Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minnows in horse tank

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnows in horse tank

I have a 100 gal tank that I water 5 horses from. I'm thinking about taking a 30 gal plastic barrel cutting some openings around the bottom with screen across the openings. Putting barrel in horse tank and keeping minnows in barrel. This tank gets between 20 and 40 gal of well water added to it every day depending on weather. The Hotter it is the more water the horses drink and the more well water gets added. Do you guys think this sounds like it will work? Any ideas to improve survivability of minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 300 gal tank I water horses from and I always put my minnows in it when I get home some make it and some don't some have made it all winter with the heater in it. So yes it will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll give it a try soon. I live in the middle of nowhere and bait shop is opposite direction from Lake I would like to keep a few for quick access.

Post Thanks / Like

just hope the horses don't develop a taste for fresh fish.

Post Thanks / Like

youl get the mad horse in your heard
    kost plus crappie team

Post Thanks / Like

My uncle had a dairy and they were always putting fish and minnows in the tank at the barn. No drum to keep them seperate. Never had a problem.
    Likes SilverBack4Jack LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Anothe thing to add to the water tank is a dozen feeder goldfish as they will eat all the misqueto larva.

Post Thanks / Like

Just turn the minnows loose in the stock tank . Especially if it is a round one . Round is best those little devils like to bang their heads into stuff . If they get wounded and you have them long enough they can get a fungal infection that will kill all your minnows . Add some bait saver to the tank good for minnows and horses . Just got electrolites in it . Kinda like Gatoraide . I have an old big aeroater that will work for up to 500 gal tank if you think you need one . Helps a lot in hot weather . I'd have to sell it cheap cause shipping would run 15-20 bucks prolly .

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing you want to be careful of is if the water that is coming into it out of the well is a major difference in temp it will cause the minnows to put off an ammonia and they can suffocate themselves. Sounds like it will be a gradual change with how a horse will drink the water down and the well refills it so it should be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  100_1399.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  60.1 KBName:  100_1399.jpg
Views: 2227
Size:  60.1 KB
    Here is a paddle unit i use for stock tanks .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast