PDA

View Full Version : Best ultralight

Hightekrednek
08-13-2006, 01:30 PM
I was wondering what the best ultralight rod would be for $50 or under, I was at wal mart and looking at their selection which included fenwicks, rapala's, lightning rods, and quantums. Out of these which would be the best buy?

Cachuma
08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
i would go with the quantum.....but thats just me.....

Matt Smith
08-13-2006, 02:26 PM
I've been real pleased with the Ugly Stick Lite model. The ultralight model 5' is too slow, but the light action 5'6" has a better, stiffer action. I can feel bites better and set the hook better with light, high stretch line.

GRIZZ
08-13-2006, 03:06 PM
Most of the rods you can get at walmart are pretty low quality. I suggest getting one of these at BPS. I've never seen better rods for $30. Head and shoulders better than anything they have at walmart.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=44529&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74068&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

Personally, in the microlite series I'd go with the 7 ft 2-8 lb test, but for the money you cant beat those IM7 tourny's if you can find the right weight. I used to pay $80-$100 for similar rods. I normally buy more expensive rods, but I'd stock up on those tourny's for $30 each.

PS. I just noticed the wally marshall IM8 crappie rods are on sale as well - http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=21125&hvarTarget=search&hvarAID=&cmCat=3337250 - very nice rod. I might order a couple next week.

Backlash
08-13-2006, 03:29 PM
The BPS Micro-Lite series is very good for the money. I've got a 7' and a 7'6" that I've used for several years. I think I paid $29.95 plus S & H each for them. Very sensitive and strong enough to boat the occasional catfish that happens along. I like them as well or better than some more expensive rods I own. Of course like everyone else that's my personal opinion.

CK14
08-13-2006, 04:24 PM
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=74068&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=2&hvarSubCode=2&hvarTarget=browse

i second grizz with this rod. just got a 7 1/2' ultra light matched up with a pflueger trion. i really like it :D

ad1974
08-13-2006, 04:33 PM
I got a Wally Marshall rod and it's really nice,especially for the price.

Blue Duck
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I have had several and I like the Ugly Stick best.

gabowman
08-13-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm very partial to the Cherrywood 5' Ultralite rods. Very sensitive and balanced well. They run about 19 bucks. I also have 4 of the Mitchell 500UL spinning reels which work very good for tightlining at night. If I'm not mistaken I think they run around $20. Check 'em out next time you're at Wally World.

crappiencali
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
I like the Wally rods and Ozark rods. BPS has some Wally rod combos on sale in their clearance section online. If you want to look at the Ozark rods go to either www.grizzly jigs or www.cabelas.com.

stray
08-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I was wondering what the best ultralight rod would be for $50 or under, I was at wal mart and looking at their selection which included fenwicks, rapala's, lightning rods, and quantums. Out of these which would be the best buy?

A small local tackle shop recommended the 6í6Ē Discovery it is an IM-7 and very sensitive ($30.00), Iíve broken 2 of them (one my fault completely and the other an accident, neither the rods fault) Iíve not been able to find another that I like for the price.

crappieseeker
08-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Quantum all the way

fishindaddyo
08-14-2006, 07:33 AM
I like the mitchell Avocet Combos. I've two of their reels one the 500UL and the other the 2000 for my "green carp" rod. Both are very well made and for $20 /reel you can match them with any rod you feel best suits your style. I had my larger Avocet on a quantam M (6-14#) IM6 rod and the other was a combo made by mitchell that my wife got . I think it was @$30-40. It's great for crappie and bream but plan on a tussel if you encounter bass or cats b/c the hookset's a little harder with this rod since it's L action not M or UL. Still a great combo for my style of angling.HTH

deathb4disco
08-14-2006, 08:31 AM
I really like the new Quantum Xtralites.

Second choice would be the Microlight from BPS.

CrappiePappy
08-14-2006, 08:52 AM

I'd consider the Fenwicks & Berkleys. But, with a $50 price range ... you might want to look at the B&M Poles link, at the top of the page, and go to their online store. Look at the Sam Heaton Super Sensitive rods, in the length that you're interested in. (note: the Sam Heatons start at 7ft).

And you might also want to consider looking at Richard Williams' poles : http://www.crappiestuff.com/richard_williams_crappie_poles.html
(his poles start at 7.5ft)

It would be hard to say which, of any of these choices, would be the "best buy" for the money .... because there are so many different models/actions/lengths to consider. (and as you see, everyone has their own "favorite" ... :D ) Knowing what you intend to use the rod for, what length you're comfortable with, what reel you intend to match it up with, and what you consider "ultralite" to mean (to you) would be the first things I'd consider before choosing. Just MHO ........... luck2ya ..... cp :cool:

Hightekrednek
08-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm very partial to the Cherrywood 5' Ultralite rods. Very sensitive and balanced well. They run about 19 bucks. I also have 4 of the Mitchell 500UL spinning reels which work very good for tightlining at night. If I'm not mistaken I think they run around $20. Check 'em out next time you're at Wally World.

I like these rods also, but they started to cut some corners as far as appearance goes. Like they changed from a handle-turn reel seat to an exposed screw seat. Maybe the quality isn't any different now, but I'm the kind of guy that would wish I spent $20 more for the rest of the time I owned the rod if it doesn't look right to me. I have a couple of the old ones for my bass and trout setups though and I love 'em.

Hightekrednek
08-14-2006, 06:57 PM
I'm likin' the look of the 7'6" BPS. But it only shows a 1/16-1/4 lure weight range. Does it do alright with 1/32oz micros? Thanks!

gabowman
08-14-2006, 07:27 PM
I like these rods also, but they started to cut some corners as far as appearance goes. Like they changed from a handle-turn reel seat to an exposed screw seat. Maybe the quality isn't any different now, but I'm the kind of guy that would wish I spent $20 more for the rest of the time I owned the rod if it doesn't look right to me. I have a couple of the old ones for my bass and trout setups though and I love 'em.

Hmm....the Berkley Cherrywood Spinning rods still have the handle that tightens on the reel in the local Walmart here. Maybe they've already changed 'em but havent sold out of what is in stock here. Maybe I better go down and pick one or two more up soon. For $20 I would like for them to last a super long time but by buying cheaper it doesnt hurt me as bad when one tears up and I gotta replace it. Besides, as long as Walmart carries them all I gotta do is take 'em back for an exchage if something happens to them. Already done that with a Quantum rod I bought there. ;) :D

GRIZZ
08-14-2006, 10:42 PM
I'm likin' the look of the 7'6" BPS. But it only shows a 1/16-1/4 lure weight range. Does it do alright with 1/32oz micros? Thanks!

I suggest you take a close look at the wally marshall pro I linked on the bottom of that post. I think that pole is better suited for light line crappie fishing and has a more advanced blank.

Either of those poles will be killer with 1/32's and lighter, just don't use line that's too heavy for the lure. I strongly suggest you try 4lb test Gamma or sufix promix. I have been testing the lighter Gamma lines all summer and I really like them. I love the sufix promix and consider it to be the best light line out there to my knowledge, but Gamma is stacking up good and is actually more limp than the promix while being just as strong. The main difference between the lines is the cost. Promix is much less, especially in bulk. I don't know how they can sell such a great line for so cheap.

One more thing. Be careful that you get a reel that ocillates. With light lures and lines an ocillating spool wraps the line tighter and you will get far fewer loop knots. Just in case you don't know what ocillation is, when the spool is travelling up and down the main internal shaft during the retrieve ocillating reels have a second shaft that changes the speed at which the spool travels up and down so the line cross wraps better and tighter. This allows for better casting and less loop problems.

Hightekrednek
08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
The wally marshall you gave a link to only shows light action rods. I don't know if this will make a huge difference because of the line-test ratings being the same as the UL but I was wondering if it would affect casting distance, using a 1/32 on a light. Would it load the rod properly for longer(relatively) casts?

CrappiePappy
08-16-2006, 07:53 AM
The wally marshall you gave a link to only shows light action rods. I don't know if this will make a huge difference because of the line-test ratings being the same as the UL but I was wondering if it would affect casting distance, using a 1/32 on a light. Would it load the rod properly for longer(relatively) casts?

The lighter action (more whippy) rods will cast a 1/32oz lure, fine. You may not get quite as much distance as with a heavier jig, but you don't need any heavier action to "load the rod properly". I cast 95% of the time, and I use a 7ft Sam Heaton/6lb mono or 8ft Duckworth FnF rods/4lb mono ... and I cast with 1/32 & 1/16oz tube jigs (mostly). I don't have any problems with the rods not "loading up" enough to get decent distance with these weights. You're going to get a little better distance, with either weight of jig, by having a reel with a large diameter line spool ... as opposed to a UL reel with a very small line spool. That's just simple dynamics ... the line's going to come off a large diameter spool, in longer sections and more easily than from a small diameter spool (simply because the small diameter spool doesn't hold as much line, so your cast may deplete the majority of the line on the upper half of the spool - and the drag (resistance) on the line, as it comes off the spool and rubs against the edge of the spool, will be greater). Same principal as when using a rod with small guides, verses on with larger guides .... the more "line slap" that's created by the smaller diameter guides, the less distance you'll get from the same cast speed/power. That's why some FnF rods, of 8, 9, 10ft lengths have larger guides than jigging poles of the same lengths. Jigging poles are made to drop the lure, not cast it. Just MHO. ........ luck2ya ... cp :cool:

fishin3
08-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Here is my 2 cents. I would go with the B-n-M poles I have one of them and love it. I also use the microlight from BPS. I was using them before I found this site and the B-n-M poles. I would buy another of either of them if anything every happen to one of them. I think I have around 5 or 6 microlight in lengths from 4' 6" to 7' 6" ultra to light actions.

butterball
08-17-2006, 08:41 AM
I really like the Berkeley Cherrywood series, my family has about 8 of them. But, as stated earlier, the grip isn't as comfortable on the new ones. I also have a berkeley lightning rod that is very sensitive, light, and has a comfortable grip. I usually tightline with 2 poles-I hold the lightning and set the cherrywood down and watch for bites.

Hightekrednek
08-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I ordered one of the wally marshall pro's that Grizz advised. Thanks all of you for your comments. I figured that a rod on that good of a sale will give me more money to put into a good reel. Thanks again!

GRIZZ
08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Sweet - Let us know what you think when you get it.

Hightekrednek
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
when it showed up the packaging was damaged but it looked fine so I took it out and when I casted it the tip broke off. must of had something pretty heavy dropped on it. It looked to be of good quality and was very sensitive, so I wouldn't hesitate in buying one if you're looking, just be careful of the tip because it is very fine and doesn't look like it would take much abuse.

GRIZZ
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Man, you'd think they would ship poles in something tougher. That seems to happen quite a lot.

Hightekrednek
08-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Man, you'd think they would ship poles in something tougher. That seems to happen quite a lot.

No kidding! They shipped it in a flimsy cardboard tube.

gabowman
08-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Here's another reason I LOVE shopping Wally World. I had the drag screw on top of the Mithcell Avocot 500UL strip out. (I guess since I hand strip line off the reels letting my line out to certain depths I did this to the reel but I expect the reels to hold up just the same.) No receipt, no nothing but a busted reel.....replaced it with a brand new one at no charge. AND, Walmart is local! Just gotta love em! :D

blairbasser
08-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Hightek I don't think it's as much the durability of the tubes they ship the rods in as it is the handling they receive during shipping. BP's return policy is great, but it's the wait for the replacement item that is frustrating. By this I don't mean weeks waiting on a replacement, cause they ship immediately unless it's on backorder. Just you were expecting it on a certain day and now you have to wait a few more.

I have bought many rods at walmart and will continue doing so. They have decent rods for the price but iv'e noticed the quality seems to be getting cheaper every year. If I need a more expensive rod I buy online from BP or cabelas

BB