Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightstalk on Shenango

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nightstalk on Shenango

Son and I did a Saturday night to Sunday morning nightstalk on Shenango lake and ended up with a decent little mess. Threw back about a dozen and kept the bigger ones. No live bait, only jigs (mainly bluefox w/spinner) sometimes tipped with either chartruese glow crappie nibble or berkley maggots. Mostly caught just under the cluster of baitfish at the lantern and submersable light aprox 4' to 6' down in 20' and then later in about 8' depth. They were usually hitting very light, just a slight bump or nibble. As the moon brightened and rose up the bite got fewer and far between and the baitfish under the lights thinned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess. I've been noticing the same thing with the moon lately. Bright moon high in the sky, the bait scatters. One of my many theories of fishing with a bright moon.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Good ole Shenango Reservoir. I grew up in Sharpsville and my Dad took me to Shenango all the time as a kid. We only fished at night a few times and always from shore. Nice lookin crappie.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch. Thats my home lake too. Hope you didn't clean out one of my spots.:D I wont be able to fish for a couple more weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics. makes me want to go fishing right away. Good job!!
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaunc
    Nice catch. Thats my home lake too. Hope you didn't clean out one of my spots.:D I wont be able to fish for a couple more weeks.
    Nah I don't think I hit any of your spots. I started out just on the east side of the causeway (rt 18) in about 20ft, then we moved up by golden run.

Got a little over 2.5 pounds of fillets off that mess. I'm still learning how to fillet as this is the first year I've really started fishing and keeping crappie. I used to fish off the banks and catch mainly catfish in the past until my wife bought me this boat

This nightstalk thing is pretty cool although just started a new job so I'll probably be limited to the weekends now but thats ok.

I should probably look into to one of those bait pumps you guys talk about. The crappie nibbles really do make a difference but they come off pretty easy on a hook and I wouldn't mind trying some tube jigs w/ that.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught another mess last night. Doubled last week's catch Ended up with 4lbs. of fillets. Moon was hidden behind clouds all night and had lots of baitfish/minnows swarming the lights steady this time. Caught about 50 and kept 27.

Post Thanks / Like

I also live in Pa--south of Pittsburgh and have been doing a lot of nite fishing at a small lake which is primarily a trout stocked lake. We also have been doing well on the crappies but not a lot of size there. Last couple of weeks have been slow with the hot temps but one slow nite the moon was out in full and we figured it might help--but quite the opposite. May have to try some other lakes which may have more keeper size crappies.

Post Thanks / Like

That is 2 good messes you have there. Night fishing is one of my favorite ways to fish.
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slab crazy, when the moon is full like it was that night, look for shade under bridges. It might sound crazy, but give it a try. Crappies love shade and on a bright night they will get out of the moonlight. Lanterns bring in baitfish. Most crappie will be out at the rim of the light. Next time give it a try and post your results for us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast