Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sam Heaton with bottom reel seat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sam Heaton with bottom reel seat

Is anyone using one of these rods. If so how does it compare to the original Sam Heaton as far as sensitivity and backbone. I'm using an Ozark 10' with rear reel seat and like the lightness and backbone it has. Also have a B&M BBUL 10' with the rear seat and like it allot although it lacks in backbone it is super light and sensetive and I don't have a problem sticking fish with it's light action. Sooo I'm looking to pick up another rod and I've always herd so much about the Heaton rods and never tried one because I like the rear seats for single poleing. Well now they have one and I would like to know how does it compare to the original Heaton and maybe the Ozark I have now.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess nobodys got this rod yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Not yet. Shopping for one of the SHSS 9' with RRS now. Glad you liked the BBUL with RRS. I looked at one yesterday but was 11'. I want a shorter RRS jigging pole. Hope you get some better responses.
    Slab Masters Tournament Trail ............... www.slabmasterstournamenttrail.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
    Guess nobodys got this rod yet.
    Not many that fish with bottom reel seat crappie rods. Those that I know that do use a fly rod instead.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the Mississippi off topic site . Has a good thread .

rnvinc is offline Crappie.com 2016 Man of the Year * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 2 of the 12' Sam Heaton Supersensitive with the bottom real seat...

I put a "micro spin" spinning reel on 1 and the "midsize" spinning reel up on the other...

Seems that the micro spin may be just a little "too light" for good balance....

With the older style midcork reel seat I found myself holding the rod at the very front of the cork to get good balance and allow my finger to rest on the rod blank...this, in effect has 2' of usable rod length behind me...

With the bottom reel seat and a midweight spinning reel I can balance the rod at about midcork handle....and gain effective usable rod length in from of my grip on the cork handle..

Interestingly, this new design SH Supersensitive has a factory cutout in the cork handle right where my balance point is allowing my finger to rest on the actual rod blank inside of the cork handle....

I think the only disadvantage in this new bottom reel seat design, (I see) is its going to be more difficult to lay the rod in a rod holder if I need to for working with the second rod to unhook fish, straighten the jig, or whatever...

Rickie
    www.podunkideas.com <--Click here
    ------------—————
    https://www.crappie-gills-n-more.com/
    https://cornfieldfishinggear.com/

------------------------>> Pro Staff Sonar Advisor