Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter media for fluid bed

Post Thanks / Like

Default Filter media for fluid bed

What are you guys using? I've seen all manor of stuff tested on youtube, mainly a paper type. I'm wanting something to permanently attach to the bottom of the cups, though.

Even though it is labelled as "ultra fine", this stuff is more porous than paper but I wonder if it would work with a low volume pump even more throttled back... Ultrafine Mesh Chemistry Filter Screen Stainless Steel | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

After a bit more research, I don't think that particular mesh is fine enough to keep some of the powders from passing through it. It looks like the powders range from 50-300 microns so it would need to be a 325-400 mesh at minimum.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just order you some cups with it already installed. BugMan and TJ's tackle both sell them very reasonable.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine from Bugman, they are great. i am not having all the problems all the others were having. i just put mine together and put the cup in the 2" coupler, and I adjusted the airflow, and now volcanoes or anything.

Bugman's stuff is good, go that route!

You Can Make a Difference!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm hard headed. LOL I hit him up for some of his porous plate but he's out.

I've already got my bed made with some cups. Just trying to figure out what to use as filter media for test runs. Looks like I may not have any paint to try out for a week or so though....

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best I found was brown paper lunch bag. Tried shop vac filets,coffe. Filters,masking paper, heavy envelope paper. Paper bag is best. Just be careful and don't poke a hole in it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Like cray, the paper bag (lunch sack type, not a grocery bag) works real well for me and the price is certainly right. I just cut out pieces to cover a piece of two inch PVC and sealed them right on with a bead of silicone sealant. I figure if one breaks, which hasn't happened yet, I'll just cut another piece of bag and reglue.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys getting much bubbling with the brown paper bags?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have much trouble with that. Some paints are more finicky than others, it seems like the fleck paints have more problems with bubbling and volcanoes. At any rate, I put an aquarium valve between the pump and my fluid bed and I can regulate the airflow with that. If I have a paint that is giving me problems, I can fix the bubbling and volcanoes by adjusting the airflow.

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried mine with copier paper. It worked well except I was getting volcanoes around the edges. I suspect that may be because the paper was slightly oversized and wrinkled a little around the edges when I put the cup in. I have valves on mine as well. Judging by the amount that I had the one open, I think the cheap pump that I bought at Walmart will run 2 cups if needed with no problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast