Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowhead Dam safety

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowhead Dam safety

Found this video on the NEFGA.org website, despite waiting 2 months for approval of a membership on their site...

Dangerous Lowhead Dams are cause of Deaths to Canoe, Swimmers, tubing and Kayak - YouTube

I never fished around these, but i do remember seeing some as a kid. Often wondered about wading through them for fishing as a kid, especially when they were only a few feet deep. I never realized there was a trough that the water flowed into and a lip that prevents it from being washed out. makes a lot of sense and i can definitely see the danger of being caught in that.

That being said, thought I would share it for those who fish or canoe around such dams.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris there is one of these under the 84th St Bridge over the Papio Creek in Papillion. Several years ago 2 High School kids was Kyaking down it after a heavy rain and the water was really high. One made it thru but the other one got caught in the under tow just as it was explained on the video. The Fire Dept went up steam ahead of the dam and block the water off and when it went down they found him caught in the brush at the bottom of one of these. They found him 3 days later. These are very dangerous. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Yea i wouldn't canoe or kayak any of the drainage creeks and streams around the metro. Nor would i fish any of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Some people fish under the bridge and come up with pretty good Walleye!! EB

Post Thanks / Like

You're talking about the 84th street bridge? Next to the park where they are doing some construction?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that is the one! EB

Post Thanks / Like

Only way I can think of how that got there is, somehow it made it through the dam from Wehrspann.