Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to include in a Log Book?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to include in a Log Book?

I'm starting a Log Book to keep up with what's going on when I fish.

What are some things I need to include?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to include in a Log Book?

Date, water temp, outside temp, lure, depth, location, barometer, # caught, and a couple lines for notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I keep logs on every single trip I make weather it's successful are not! I always go every chance I get regardless if I heard reports, weather etc! I've been logging for years and I find its a great source to go back on....I log the dates, times (start to finish), location/area, water temps & clarity, depths, Jig head colors, jig color/brands used, weather(temps & winds), baro, water levels(rising r falling), time of day i caught the best, fish sizes & average wt's! I keep a small book in my boat I scratch in while on the water & a more detailed book at home! Sounds like alot but for me it's worth taken that extra 5 min to write it down! I do anything I can to try an stay on top of them big ol hog slabs! Ex. of my Quick logs

Post Thanks / Like

all these plus moon phase and solunar predictions. I find that a moving barometer and rising water is the best fishing, but as said I go when I can!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    all these plus moon phase and solunar predictions. I find that a moving barometer and rising water is the best fishing, but as said I go when I can!
    All stated above, but these are the most important! Good job, South point!

Post Thanks / Like

Also if thermocline present and GPS coordinates!

Post Thanks / Like

weather conditions, water conditions(color/temp) first and foremost. your more apt to replicate a good bite by knowing where the fish were due to conditions, than by knowing what color of jig worked, or how many you caught 2 years ago.
    Any information is good info however, and if you dont mind keeping tabs on all of it, its a great idea.
    I also keep track of barometer, but the results havent been as helpful as i would have thought, just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thread and info posted I to wish to start keeping a log..... Or a fishing diary if you prefer.... lol... Cody

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The important thing is to start a log and use it for all trips. It can include as much or little information as you're comfortable collecting and recording. As time passes, you can fine tune it by adding more categories of information or discontinuing things that never help.

I keep my "log" in three forms: an Excel spreadsheet, photographs, and downloads of trip tracks and WPs from my GPS.

The spreadsheet is a summary of where I fished and when. It also records water temp, the total catch for the day, the number of keeper-size fish, and anything else I might want to know later. Viewed on my desktop computer, the gps tracks tell me exactly where I was and exactly when. Spots that were productive will show up as "yarn balls" (the track line goes round and round in the same spot.) The pictures are a simple easy way to remember weather conditions (including wind, cloud cover, precip, etc.), water conditions (level, clarity, ice, grass, mud, etc.), baits that worked, and anything else that was interesting or unusual. As an added bonus, if I keep my digital camera's clock accurate, the date & time saved in the image files can be matched with the time & location shown in the trip track.

Post Thanks / Like

These are some great ideas on things I haven't thought about for a log book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast