Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porcupine Condos just keep giving

Post Thanks / Like

Default Porcupine Condos just keep giving

My buddy and I caught 72 crappie this last Thrusday on Lake Thumderbird. Got them on the same two condos we have slayed them in all summer. Probably caught over 500 on these two condos since June, all in the same summer pattern. 11 to 13 ft deep drop a minnow to the bottom, turn the crank up one good turn and swim or float the bait around slowly. Very light bites, some time no bite just a feel like you might be hung on a limb or moss. I tell you I love these porcupines. These particular ones have 5 ft arms, so right now with the water going down due to the dry weather they are only about 1 to 1/12 ft below the water on the arms sticking straight up.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there BudsBoy, are you talking about those PVC spheres?
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes I am

I have put out 9 since spring. Half in deep water (12-15) and the other half in water 8-10 ft. They work well once the alge starts to build up on them. If you buy some and put them out I would suggest drilling a hole inbetween each of the center rim holes and putting in a machinie screw. This will help keep them from splitting when you have about half the arms on and the weight gets heavy. All deep water ones have 5 ft PVC arms and the shallow ones 3 1/2 ft arms.

Post Thanks / Like

Default attractors

Sounds like those attractors are working pretty well for you! I have used those too. Last fall I ordered some attractors from JandJ Habitat. I tried the crappie tree and the dock special. They were super easy to assemble and I didn't have to add anything to them. I've had really good luck with them. Good luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Spongebob

if I hung one from a dock here at Lake Thunderbird in central Oklahoma it would be 10 or 12 ft from the waterline. Our lake has dropped about 51/2 ft. this year.

Post Thanks / Like

i know what you mean. Our lake was pretty low too, but is doing better now.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

how much weight do you need for pvc condoes . i know bamboo needsn a good bit. but pvc has no trapped air
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

A few of the attractors I bought didn't need any weight added. There is one model that you add 8 inches of concrete. It wasn't hard to do and it stayed where I put it. I checked it when the water was really low!
    The website is JandJHabitat.com if you want to see some pictures of them. They worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I normally

just use what I have available like a concret block, but have made some with a large tin can filled with concrete and a coathanger wire loop to attach rope. I think it is important to weight them down good because it CAN be pulled up by accident with a anchor rope. I don't want mine moved from the spot I picked. If someone moves them they are hard to find on the depth finder.

Post Thanks / Like

how would gthese work in a someyimes flowing rlver? alabama river?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast