Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Carolina rig my Foot.....

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Carolina rig my Foot.....

Watching fishing shows is as close to the water I'm gonna get for a few more months.

So...this particular show is talking up the "Carolina rig" and I'm watching as closely as I can for him to show us what the heck he's talking about. How its made up and how to fish it differently than anything else. Those guys whip that stuff around and hide it in their hands like it's a secret. I wonder if any of the Editors know why we watch those shows?

Finally I went to Google.
    Now I can see what they are calling a Carolina rig.
    I wound up in the Puget Sound country in 1946.

Ol Uncle taught me to catch Salmon with what is now called the Carolina Rig and Bottom Fish with something you guys might call a Dropper. We'll know more about that later.

We used the line, tied to the sinker, and a swivel (sometimes an extra swivel in the middle of the leader) and then the Hooks. Sound Familiar?

We used a two hook leader. Sometimes one hook would be a slider. Ohhhh lordy how bold and different eh?
    Then Some guy came up with a snap arrangement for the weights. Now we could snap on any size weight we wanted and it'd slide up n' down the line. Woohooo another improvement.

Either buy bait, or if we ran out while we were still out on the water, We'd tie up 25 hooks about 5" apart on a 20 Lb line. Put a weight on the end of the line and throw the whole works over a Herring ball and start jerking. We didn't have a throw net. See how easy you guys have it now?
    We used our Penn 60's or 90's (deck winch) and that's where I learned to cast with a Bait Casting reel. Yeah, that 'bait casting reel' is another new term to me.

Still the bait was Herring and we were fishing for Salmon.
    So without knowing it, I learned the Carolina rig when I was just a Kid from a Creek in southern MO.

My next big Expose' is gonna be that "Texas Rig".
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Hummm....you from AL right? Man, you are going to soil your britches when you find out about that rig!!!!!!