Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder coating jigs .

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default powder coating jigs .

who does it ? will you elaborate ? how to do this and what is needed .

Post Thanks / Like

I do it, pretty fun and cheap. I can mix my powders together to get any color I want and it's pretty fun as well. I only do them for myself so I may noT have the setup some guys do that mass produce them. I get my powder from eBay. All you have to do it stir the powder in the cup and get it all fluffy, heat up the jig for about 4 seconds with a lighter then dip it in the powder, pull it out shake it a little and hang it up, later you can clean the eyes out and bake if you desire to. I don't bake mine.......just make sure you clean the eyes out before baking, it's pretty hard if you don't. If want to do double colors all you have to do it dip it in one color real quick then dip it halfway in another, it's pretty fun and neat. There are fluid beds online that keep your powder fluffy by blowing air through it but I don't mind stirring the powder after 10 jigs or so, you have to keep it fluffy or the powder will cake up on your jig head. By the way, the 4 seconds over a lighter is for a 1/16th.......the amount of heat depends on the size jighead you use. It's really simple and easy to do.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Eagle that's one way of doing it. I have several fluid beds I built and much prefer doing it that way. I use a heat gun to heat up jig then dip real quick through the powder. Let cool then I clean paint from eye of jig. Then I bake them in a small toaster oven. Like young gun said if you bake with paint in eye it is really hard to get out. I use a pair of curved tip forceps and clamp them over the eye while heating and dipping. I also do a lot of pony head jigs and Jimfish turned me onto using 1/8in heat shrink over the swivel when painting then peal it off before baking to keep paint out of swivel.

Go to YouTube and look for powder painting jigs. There are several videos that will help you understand how it works. Main thing is baking. If you don't the paint will have a tendency to chip off. When baked you can't chip it with a hammer.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I use a fluid bed and have a pan of 50 at the time in a toaster oven. Heat around 325 then swipe in fluid bed. I have a rack I hang them on, then paint eyes if needed. Clean eyes. Next, bake at 350 for 20 minutes to harden.

Eagle 1 is online now Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

So the fluid beds are not heated ? How do you mass produce , the heating process .

Post Thanks / Like

coach I have a fluid bed you get time come by the house and i will let you paint some jig heads you can order everything you need from jamie cross aka bugman at simplycrappie.com
    Crappie Logic - (662) 418-2038

Post Thanks / Like

I bake mine in a toaster oven I spent <$20 on. It's a lot easier than trying to bake them in the kitchen. Like others have said, you have to clean the line ties before baking. After baking, the paint is incredibly hard and won't chip off.

Sometimes I sprinkle a pinch of darker color powder paint over a hot jig head I have just dipped in powder. It gives the jig a pepper-look that is pretty cool.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could visit the jig tying and making forum and find out anything you wish from those that do it all the time. Everyone so far has good info, and I prefer the heat gun. Best $20 investment you can make. Some of the colors will leave a residue on the wifes oven, so use a toaster oven if you cure them. much tougher if you do. I have bounced mine off of bridge pilings several times without nicking the paint, not so without the curing. Pro tec is the most consistent paint that I've found, and Crazy Angler also sells some, as does Bugman.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I also use a toaster oven they work great. You can get jig heads fluid beds and amost any other supplies from www.simplycrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

It really is a pretty simple process,the way i see it if Donnie can do it then just about anyone canseriously go see Donnie he'll fix you right up or feel free to give me a yell anytime and i'll tell you what little i know 573-569-3676
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast