Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you leave your boat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you leave your boat?

This may be the wrong place to ask this but when I bought my fiberglass boat, the ole man I bought it off of told me to always let the pressure off the front and rear tie downs as well as keep the engine off the motor toter and all the way down. He said it was unneeded stress on the boat. Anybody else do this?

Post Thanks / Like

To use an old man's terminology, Balderdash! As a matter of fact, the motor toter, if it is mounted to the trailer, takes stress off the transom. Now I guess you could ratchet the tie downs to the point of breaking and maybe stress the mountiing points, but unless you are an 800 Lb. Gorilla, I would not worry about it.
    I think he was worrying over nothing.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

when i leave my boat parked for over a week i let the winch strap loose, the rear ones are not tight enough to hurt anything and i let the motor down off of the motor toter so water will not collect in the prop hub plus i disconnect the fuel line and run the gas out of the carbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to run the gas out of my motor but most of the advice I hear today recommends you use a good stablizer, like seafoam or stabil, and leave the gas in the motor unless it will be sitting for extended perionds of time, like over winter or somethhing. I try to buy ethanol free, but you never know what might be in it so I use Seafoam with every fill up.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

If the temperatures are going to get down around freezing, I'll take the motor toter off and let the motor down to prevent any freezing in the hub, temps that cold don't happen that often down here though. I don't worry much about the fuel line and carbs, I always add marine stabil to the tank every time I fill up and have never had a problem. Last summer the job I was on required me working 7 days a week for 3 months, first time out fishing after that and the Yammi fired up and ran out just fine. I also leave the onboard charger plugged in and the cover on her when parked. The transom tie downs and winch strap stay connected also.
    -LP

2007 Skeeter ZX-20 Bay / Yamaha 150 VMax
    Lowrance HDS-8, 7, & 5 with LSS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I rarely get to fish because my kids are in sports and stuff always going on, so I am going to say I usually leave my boat in tears. Tears and longing, with much sadness

Post Thanks / Like

I've read all of those comments before, but I usually leave the winch and transom straps on just like I adjusted 'em at the boat ramp when I loaded up (a tin boat) but I never "crank 'em down" extra tight either. If you have a 2stroke, most say NOT to run the carbs dry since the gas/oil mix runs out at the same time, and in turn, with no oil in the cylinders, can scar or damage the cylinders when the oil is not flowing. I use to do that and did not have any problems, but don't do that now with my 60 Merc 2stroke. I do use marine stabil, seafoam, etc. in the gas all the time, the 60 usually starts up and runs fine, seldom do I have any issues with it, and when I do, it usually because I haven't run it long it enough to keep the jets cleared out. My Merc has the auto oiler, so I just have to fill the oil tank, don't have to mix it.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I seldom pull mine far, don't use a transom saver , no cover. Drain livewell , pull the pull, put it in the shop and hook up battery chargers. Return in a few hours and unhook battery chargers.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine strapped down all the time, have for years. The only time you need to leave your motor in the down position, is if you've had it in the water, to prevent it from freezing.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine tied to the dock in front of the house ready to go.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast