Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I need some help with a crappie...issue

Post Thanks / Like

Red face I need some help with a crappie...issue

ok,

well i have never really done any crappie fishing before and i was just starting to get into it. (i mostly fish for bluegill and redear:D )

anyways on my local lake there is an extremely large amount of white crappie ( i know this because ive seen groups of people catch 60+ in half an hour) but they will only bite for about 45 minutes a day in the evening

is this the way crappie are everywhere?

i know it is probably because they are a schooling fish..and maybe they go into deeper waters during the day? i never have trouble catching bluegill there though.

anyways, i was hoping for some tips to help my next crappie fishing trip be a little better than the last...:o

as for me you will probably see me in the panifish/bream section of the board most of the time...and i am new here..

thanks, Cachuma
    SIGNATURE COMING SOON

Post Thanks / Like

First welcome from Kentucky you will be able to learn alot here. The best advice I can give you is to get out and find the dropoffs along the creeks feeding into the main lake. If you find a big ball of bait fish you can also find the Crappie because they will school right under them. Take either a live shad or a small jig and get right under them and you will see a large increase in your catch. I hope this helps good luck.:D
    Hope your lines stay wet and your livewells full.:D

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the help =]
    SIGNATURE COMING SOON

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

good advice from EASTKYCRAPPIE. welcome. typically this time of the year with water temps high, the crappie will be more active early and late in the day. they do not like sunlight. maybe that's why some folks try for'em at night. they can be found and caught in the heat of the day, if you practice what our friend mentioned. these fishermen on this forum will be able to help you with getting started on crappie fishing. i have learned a lot from them this year, myself. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 6242 From Toledo Bend Texas!

You have already got some good info and I will try to add something. I find the creek bends during the summer and I want the creek it self to be at least 22'-25' deep and 30' is better. I set up as close to the what would be the bank of that creek if not in a lake. If the creek is 30' then I want the edge to be any where from 20'-25' ish. I usually catch fish 10'-14' down and sometime as much as 20' down.

In the fall I like to slow troll using my troll motor in water that is 10'-14' deep around grass preferably. I use a 1/32 or 1/16 oz. jig and I set my troll motor on about 30% depending on the wind. I may even have to change the speed a little every time I turn around. I like to find a spot that is maybe 100 yards long +- and if I get bit several times along the way I just keep going over the same water back and forth adjusting for where I am getting the bites. I may lengthen my run or shorten it.

In the spring I like to slow troll the shallow water, say 3'-6' early spring again around the grass. As the spring gets older I move out a little to say 6'-12' again trolling around the grass. Here in East Texas this will last until about early June before I have to go to brush piles of night stalking the creeks.

I find my detailed map on my GPS to be most valuable tool for finding the bends in the creeks and any humps I want to fish.

Also the only time of year I even buy minnows is summer and mostly at night. All my other times of the year I fish jigs. Winter has not been my thing, but I keep telling my self that this year I am going to give the famous Chicken Coop here on Toledo Bend a shot, but I have not yet. LOL, I have been saying that for years and years.

Hope this helps some!

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Cachuma,

What lakes do you fish? I have fished a few out here in So Cal and may be able to help out a little PM me and we can talk. Welcome from So Cal!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet is to make friends and chat with those that are catching the big creels. If they won't help you just watch them and figure it out what they are doing and why. Ask yourself all the journalist questions - who, what, when, where, why, and how. There are so many variable that it is difficult to say just what you should do. But, since you are an avid panfisherman anyway you can definitely make adjustments to land the crappies. Good luck.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

You"ve already got lots of Good Advise So WELCOME From Tn.!!!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com