Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I have owned HB, Lowrance & Garmin

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have owned HB, Lowrance & Garmin

I remember the good times I had watching fish on 2D that would come up and hit my jig. This was done while still fishing over brush.

I then purchased a HB 898 because of all the hype about DI/SI. I also enjoyed the fellowship and training that Cane Pole gave me on this unit. I then started scanning & looking.

After all the clearer picture hype, I bought a Lowrance HDS. Now I have a HB at the console & a Lowrance at the trolling motor.

As for me, I enjoyed the 2D better than the white specks on SI.

After spending several dollars on the updates I have found that I don't have as much fun as I did fishing over brush.

So now I am anxiously awaiting for the new Garmin 50s to reach the market with the new 10 hz/ sec renewal rate on GPS.

Like I said, I like 2D & would put the Garmin 550c up against HB & Lowrance for clear pictures.

Now this old man will be able sit over brush and once again enjoy watching the fish come & go looking at my jig.
    Last edited by Don G; 03-01-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but what about SHOOTING DOCKS ?? ... 2d don't do much for that (& I KNOW you like shooting docks )

Are you telling me you're going to be buying anchors & minner buckets ... just so you can watch a colored blur move around on your 2d screen

(Oh, and congrats on the 70 Yamahammer ... just be sure to hold on tight !! )

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    Yeah, but what about SHOOTING DOCKS ?? ... 2d don't do much for that (& I KNOW you like shooting docks )

Are you telling me you're going to be buying anchors & minner buckets ... just so you can watch a colored blur move around on your 2d screen

(Oh, and congrats on the 70 Yamahammer ... just be sure to hold on tight !! )

... cp
    cp, no anchors & minnows. I don't remember you & I having SI/DI @ Watts Bar. We caught a lot of fish the 'old fashion" way.

Now, I won't spend time transferring waypoints from HB to Low & vice versa or trying to remember which transducer I am using, TM or transom.

I really do like watching that little red blur moving up and down.

Post Thanks / Like

You do know that both the lowrance and the HB have 2D and you do not have to use SI/DI, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJim View Post
    You do know that both the lowrance and the HB have 2D and you do not have to use SI/DI, right?
    I was trained by Cane Pole..

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaJim View Post
    Not ALL Lowrance's have 2d ... my Elite 5DSI unit does not have 2d, and I haven't really missed having it, so far. Don G knows I don't look for "fish" (or even fish "symbols") on a depthfinder ... I see something on the screen that looks like cover, and I'm going to send my weedless jig down there to investigate. Don't matter (to me) if I see fish or not, if they're not going to bite my bait

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

My first unit was the HDS 10 gen 2 lss-2, second unit was the Humminbird 1198c SI, third unit was the HDS 12 touch LSS-2 and totally love this unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,hope to get together this spring a Kerr and check out all your new toys,after playing with them I bet you still have to fish to catch anything,LOL. I still love to see them come and hit bait on 2d after I have been through their with SI and seen them first. I am learning to trust SI more on brush and not stop most of the time unless I see fish,takes too long to try out the hundreds that are in front of my fishing day, most time if I don,t see any than I rarely catch any unless it is a very small one
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What is going to be interesting is the new Raymarine 2d/DI unit with Chirp. From what little I have found to read looks good. I know CP was talking about this sometime back.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979