Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Arkansas ricefield slicks or goggle eye perch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arkansas ricefield slicks or goggle eye perch

Can anyone help out with a place that has ricefield slicks or goggle eye perch. Wanting to get around 50 lbs to stock my pond and havin a hard time finding some.
    Thanks for the help

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ricefield slicks are Green Sunfish. Research them carefully. I wouldn't want to stock them in a pond intentionally. Next time I'm around one of the fish farms, I'll ask them about the Goggle Eye(warmouth). May be a week or so.

Post Thanks / Like

we use them on lines for catfish..seem to stay alive much longer than the regular sun perch..thanks for checking

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

True name is Green Sunfish but local fishermen call them by many names like Rice field Slicks. I will send you a phone # for a friend who manages a fish farm in Lonoke Arkansas. They raise Goldfish and pink minnows. But he should be able to connect you with right folks in the Lonoke area.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks alot

Post Thanks / Like

Flatheads seemed to prefer pumpkin seeds back up in Illinois, but the green sunfish always stayed alive longer. The true king of staying alive on a hook is goldfish by far. it wasn't uncommon for me to have goldfish stay alive on the hook for weeks...doesn't speak well for the places I chose to set my trotlines, but speaks worlds for how tough goldfish are! They are also easy to keep alive when not on a hook....green sunfish, pumpkin seeds and any other bluegill died fast in an aerated cooler...aeration or no aeration those goldfish held on and stayed lively.
    Didn't mean to steal the thread....just got me thinking. Ha ha
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

we thought about trying some goldfish out to see.. also i was able to get a hold of a ton of about 3" long mudcats..might throw some of them on the line to

Post Thanks / Like

I have always heard that mudcats are great flathead bait, but have never tried them. I highly recommend the goldfish, they are tough as nails. For some reason the fish seemed to prefer the pure gold ones, not the black or lighter gold colored ones. I don't know if the gold ones stood out better in the water or what but I caught a lot more fish on one that were bright gold.
    Chris