Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has anyone here tried the LED lights?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone here tried the LED lights?

The guy that was on this board about his LED lights is the one I am speaking of (Nucli-Eye Aurora LED Crappie Fish Attracting Light).

I have white and green lights, but still would like to know more about this light. I am pretty sure Rango has tried them and maybe some others have too.

Thanks,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Someone was advertising one on here about 2 months back. But the feedback was mostly about the price (250)....

jimih280 Guest

I only recently registered so my word will carry little meaning right now, but I do own the optronics one and the nuclieye one. There is no comparison. The nuclieye arora is so dang bright you can't look at it. It bring in minnows like a magnet and doesn't run the battery down any. I'm saving for another right now. It is also bullet proof and small. So small I drop it a lot so its good its so tuff.
    Someone else has gotta have it too. I think they'l agree.

Post Thanks / Like

i have one of the submersible green lights that Donald of jumping cholla jigs sent me to try on our nightstalks. so far, since receiving the light i havent been on a nightstalk. when the weather starts cooling we will get things fired up and start our nightstalks. when i do, ill be givin you guys some reports on it.. i can say from looking at the unit it looks like it will take some hard use.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    i have one of the submersible green lights that Donald of jumping cholla jigs sent me to try on our nightstalks. so far, since receiving the light i havent been on a nightstalk. when the weather starts cooling we will get things fired up and start our nightstalks. when i do, ill be givin you guys some reports on it.. i can say from looking at the unit it looks like it will take some hard use.
    Hey thanks Rango, I will be looking forward to it.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

i feel bad i havent used it yet since they was so kind as to let me use it. this time of year is typically a slow time for my nightstalking, but like i said, soons the weather starts changing, ill be back in gear. i tried some green lights once, when they first started showing up on the nightstalking scene. the little 25 dollar rigs you had to weigh to get em to sink. none of em lasted morn a few nightstalks before they quit working. junk, all junk, so i went back to my old standby qbeams. the light i received from jcj looks practically indestructable. its a round aluminum disc, 2 & 3/4 inch across, with a solid aluminum back, with a threaded hole in the backs center you can put a small threaded eye bolt, i guess to tie the disc to the cord to make it shine the direction you want it to shine. the disc is 1 & 1/4 in thick, from front to back and the wall of the aluminum is a little more than 1/8 in thick. what must be the front of the disc is open and you can see a white plate under a sealed clear cover. i dont know what all the stuff is you can see but the unit is sealed so tinkerers cant mess with it . the cord runs out the side of the unit, and not the front or back. it has what looks like a 10 ft cord and at the end of the cord is a plug in that has a fuse in it. you will have to get a battery connector with aligator clips and a female plug to complete the connecton to the batt.. its not a flimsy cord thats gonna twist and tangle, but a tough looking cord thats gonna last.. like i said, its a rugged looking light. an invoice that come with the light listed the light at $119.99 and a freight charge of $9.27 with a total cost for the unit at $129.99. Its listed as "AURORA FISHING LIGHT" on the invoice. thats all the info i have on it so far. I will be telling you guys how it works for us on my boat. whiners be warned .
    Last edited by rango; 08-11-2006 at 07:06 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Well when the very first green light came out (at least I think it was) it was about $170 and I bought one. It was weighted and about 30" long and 2" Dia. with built on weights on each end and was a quality product even if it was a little high priced. I bought this light at least 6 years ago or more, just don't remember what year it was and is still going strong. I use it and I use the starfire II lights you spoke of in your article. I guess you could say I take turns with which way I go.

I would have to say both work, but I think the thing I notice is (at least I think) more bait fish show up with the green light, not so sure which one is better for fish though. However I will say the green light I have puts out quite a bit of light and I now have a 17' 5" long boat and the bright spot on it is probably at least 10' wide and the edge of the circle of light is probably as wide as my boat is long. Sometimes the shad will get so thick they are from the top of the water to about 12'-14' deep. I know this because sometime fishing with braid I feel the shad running into my line and on occasion I lift to make sure it's not a light bite from a crappie and end up hooking a shad about 12' deep. It looks like you could walk on them wile they keep circling the light.

I don't notice any real appreciable difference in my catch either way and I take a separate battery for my lights so battery life on the lights does not matter to me except to say if I stay out very long my battery last year would not last using the white ones and the green one will out last the white. However I also have to use at least 2 white lights with one on each end. The green light even shows some on the back side of my boat also and my son said he can see it from a long way off.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    Man oh Man Rango. I surely do hope that new light is suitable for use in an explosive vapor area.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

Post Thanks / Like

Default well

Quote Originally Posted by jimih280
    I only recently registered so my word will carry little meaning right now, but I do own the optronics one and the nuclieye one. There is no comparison. The nuclieye arora is so dang bright you can't look at it. It bring in minnows like a magnet and doesn't run the battery down any. I'm saving for another right now. It is also bullet proof and small. So small I drop it a lot so its good its so tuff.
    Someone else has gotta have it too. I think they'l agree.

Good thing it's bullet proof. I know we all have problem with drive by light shootings on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey rango, was wondering if you got it or not...

I hope the weather breaks for you soon and you can get out. As for them being "bullet proof", I'm not sure of that but they would be close I think. I know they can be driven over or drug behind the boat going home from the lake without breaking them. The technology is new and takes time for guys to except but we've heard nothing bad about any of our lights yet and had zero returns on the crappie lights.

I look forward to hearing what you have to say on it rango, take care...