Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent additives?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scent additives?

Does adding scent to jigs make a considerable difference in catching fish? I know gulp and crappie nibbles contribute to the smell, but I just wanted to get opinions and input. Also, what brands are the best? Thanks folks
    Gander Mtn GSX.....Perception Pescador 12.....Shakespeare Contender

Post Thanks / Like

I think sent helps fish hold onto your bait longer, giving you a better chance to feel the bite. I am sure it will help you get a least a few more bites but feel the big advantage is in the fish holding on longer.

www.crappiepredator.com
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green 2 View Post
    I think sent helps fish hold onto your bait longer, giving you a better chance to feel the bite. I am sure it will help you get a least a few more bites but feel the big advantage is in the fish holding on longer.

www.crappiepredator.com
    Do you have a brand suggestion?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not completely sold on scents. I use it sometimes to lube up jig heads when I insert them into tube baits.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a favorite or any that I feel work better than others. Just anything that covers the sent/taste of the plastic and tastes "good" to the fish.

www.crappiepredator.com
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763

Post Thanks / Like

I was trolling for stripers one day and had two umbrella rig on the back of my boat same color and depth, it seems like the one without the scent gets the bite more. It's like 3 to 1 favor for the non scented.

Post Thanks / Like

I think scents can help and hurt. Color and presentation matter most.
    The right combination of color an scent can make fishing more active.
    Its very hard if not impossible to determine if one brand or flavor is the best.
    I've tried most all of them. Of course Bercley is common place and does work.
    Personnaly I prefer Mike's. They are professionally crafted and well worth a try.
    Priced right too. Hard to say which works best. Maybe others will add info from their experiences.
    Fin
    One 2oz Atlas Mike's Glo Oil Scent Fishing Bait Attractant Trout Catfish Bass | eBay

Post Thanks / Like

I carry 5 to 6 different scents,I use bang and gulp...
    I cast,the fish may see the lure pass him but lose site of it in a second but it has a scent trail to fallow or key onto to catch up with it.The reason for differents scents is some days what stink they wanted today may not be the stink the next day.In muddy water smell is more to your advantage than site of the lure.Do not depend on just one kind of scent to catch every kind of fish in the lake,crappie maybe hitting. Shade scent and bass hitting a crawdad scent and turn their backs on all other scents that day.When fishing is tough I spray scents on everything,jigs,crankbaits,spinnerbaits,ect.Softne ss of the lure what makes a fish hold and scent is made for eat it now not to hold.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I never go crappie fishing without Crappie Nibbles! Never! Fishing with a friend one time, and he had no nibbles on, and neither do I. I then put a chartreuse Nibble on, and WHAMMO!,,... the bite is on. Not every time does it work, but seen it happen far to much, for it not to be the difference sometimes between an empty stringer/livewell or one FULL of Crappie. I buy ' em at Wally world.
    Chartreuse in my best crappie "getter" color along with white for the 2nd choice. I use them along with a 1/4 ounce jig head and a tube body and/or a jig head rigged plain; jig head, and a minnow,,... then put two or three nibbles on. Last year my wife and I were crappie fishing and anchored at "a certain spot", and we had caught a few crappie. I started using the jig and minnow and two crappie nibbles "rig", and then man did the bite come on!!! We stayed there for about four hours catching crappie! We burned up 120 minnows and allot of nibbles! There were three other boats around us that we had "drawed in", and no one was catching them like we were. One boat with three rough looking guys pulled up so close then that they lightly bumped into our boat, I know they wanted to look to see what we were using. I would have told them had they asked, but they did not. They stayed close enough to see our minnow bucket, but while they were there, since they said nothing to us about the bump, so.... I did not put on any nibbles while they were there! They then left, motor full blast! Then about 30 minutes later, here they came blazing back! ( I assumed they went and got some minnows) They were back and fishing as close to our boat as they could, but stayed about 30 feet or so away and anchored. My wife and I went ahead and kept using our jig/minnow/nibbles rigs, and was SLAYING THEM right and left! They cast real, real close to our boat, and caught,,... nothing! I said we got one more minnow and when that's gone, so are we I couldn't take it,,.... and threw right by their boat real close and WHAM!,,... fish on! I then turned around and the next cast I threw out in the opposite direction. Then all of a sudden POW right in the middle of my back! I yelled very loudly WTH! One of the guys in the boat had HIT me right square in the middle of the back!!! I reached around and pulled it off and it was a 1/2 or 3/8's oz plain lead jig with a minnow on it. I looked at the guy that hit me, and he apologized and blamed it on the wind. The wind was calm that day! I said to my wife let's go, and while both of the other boat's people were there and were watching as we left and were looking surprised about it all,,... for they all had seem him hit me in the back, so as I got a little ways from them all,,... I started mumbling very LOUDLY, but was making no sense, and it sounded like I was cussing them out! I wasn't though and I never even said a real word. I bet the other two boats were saying that those three big guys in that boat run that old couple off, how rude! I was laughing so hard as soon as we got out of sight,,... for in our cooler was our limits of nice big crappie, all 60 of 'em!!!,,... and the 120 +/- minnows we had started with were ALL gone, and gone too was the two full bottles of nibbles! So,,.... I don't go crappie fishing with out them,,... and yes!, they do make a difference! They do NOT work all the time, but when the bite ain't on, and you are out of "tricks", it sometimes makes all the difference in the world and may even make you say; "The,,... bite is on"!
    Last edited by Bytizawn; 02-28-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught gills with the nibbles but that's it so far. So I could put a couple nibbles on with my bobby garland plastics and it wouldn't hurt anything, correct? I mean, if anything it should help, right? Thanks for your input fellas!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast