Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question for Lowrance users?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question for Lowrance users?

Do you use an external antenna? Is it worth? Thoughts & Opinions welcomed!

Dan

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The main reason for an external antenna is to give you more flexible options for mounting it in a place to get the best signal.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Speed used to be a concern. The external antennae was faster than the unit alone, but that's not so much the case any more. The new units seem to do a nice job on their own.

Post Thanks / Like

Never had a problem with my HDS 8 not locking on or losing signal since I installed it last year on the console. You need to make sure the HU "has a clear view" of the sky. Post up a picture of where yours is mounted.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem with my unit getting a clear view. It is mounted on a Ram Mount to the right of the console. Nothing above it but clouds, sun, and/or stars

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Never had a problem with my HDS 8 not locking on or losing signal since I installed it last year on the console. You need to make sure the HU "has a clear view" of the sky. Post up a picture of where yours is mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

When I first got mine (seven years ago) had antenna mounted right next to unit = didn't work too good.
    The fellow at the store suggested I move antenna further away, which I did (6 ft) and it worked great for all these years,
    till the other day when the antenna finally took a crappie = replaced = works now, but fish finder crappied out ........
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "

Post Thanks / Like

Ooo Electronics Crappie N out is Not Good!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom309 View Post
    When I first got mine (seven years ago) had antenna mounted right next to unit = didn't work too good.
    The fellow at the store suggested I move antenna further away, which I did (6 ft) and it worked great for all these years,
    till the other day when the antenna finally took a crappie = replaced = works now, but fish finder crappied out ........

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Meanv2 ... in the few times I've used my Elite 5DSI, I've had no problems with it keeping accurate positioning. It's bow mounted on the floor w/TDX on the TM, and I'm using the internal antenna.

It will "lock on" inside my apt in ~ 1min ... and ~30sec or less when on the water. Left on, with TM raised & running WOT (~50mph) ... it still keeps position/speed posted accurately. I manually input some waypoints (while at home), then took the unit to the lake to test it out. Every waypoint that I searched for, I found to be dead on accurate, and the unit took me straight to them. So far, no complaints from me about an internal antenna !!

... cp